Goodbye Jesus

Help me salvage xmas

MamaCaz

Forgive me if this topic has been covered a million times already, I can't get the search feature to generate anything relevant to anything I ever try to find (is there a trick to using it?)

For several years my husband and I have been been pruning away all the pagan connections to Christmas and Easter, trying to focus only on Jesus.  We know he wasn't born in December but doing away with it altogether is depressing and we have 4 young children.  Now that I'm no longer a Christian I have no problem with Christmas trees, reindeer, hunting Easter eggs, etc.  Problem is my husband is still a Christian and I don't know how to navigate this.  He couldn't be bothered if we don't even celebrate it but I want to keep it and make it memorable for our children.  

Have any of you navigated something like this in a mixed belief family and have any advice?

Could you bring back the Yule elements and incorporate them again? Your views are equally important. All of the symbols had meaning outside of Christmas, but were adopted and adapted by the church. You don't have to go full Saturnalia, or bring offerings to Ostara, but since there are no gods being offended, bringing back the tree and trimmings, or boughs of evergreen is traditional and smells nice. Most of the Christmas traditions are from the cold northern regions, so the burning log, the mistletoe, the holly, the evergreen were symbols of hope, that life could endure (green through the winter). Lots of other meanings, but the traditions are important for the kids to feel a connection to other families and their traditional celebrations. No idea where you are located, but near me are some German-themed towns and they go all-out, and those places are fun to visit for the mood of the season.

(And yes, the search feature isn't all that great.)

Thanks for commenting, Fuego.  He's really not thrilled with the any of those things.  Last year he said something about the Garland with lights over the mantle that I kept.  We had it whittled down to just that, a Jesse tree, and a nativity.  That's it.  We both felt that all the other things were for worshipping pagan gods, so if he feels that way about it still I don't want to pressure him to do something he feels is wrong.  

Start creating your own traditions and celebrations....during the season. Find symbolism is things that you and your children love...do that for the holidays.

Why don't you all go on holiday and enjoy yourselves? Or just do whatever you'd like to do like any other holiday? I might commit to spending Xmas Eve with the family since that's important to them but come the 25 I'm doing what I want to do, and that's relax and take a break away from fundie beliefs. 

Trust me if you all enjoy yourselves, your kids are going to remember it. It's not about the decorations or presents, but quality time imo. 

I'll just toss this out there, though I do not regard myself as remotely qualified to comment. I'd go with the flow, however that flow most easily goes. As a kid, the most exciting part of Christmas for me was, of course, the presents (and ugh, I'd always get CLOTHES as presents... my parents were monsters ;) ) and  seeing the decorations. The kids love the spectacle and the break up of the normal routine. So I'd say decorate in whatever way seems fit. I hope lights aren't pagan implements because those were always my favorite and the different colors they cast onto a room. And when giving gifts, remind the kids of YOUR love for them (and not the sky daddy's). 

I don't know, your milage may vary. But that's what I'd do. Kids don't really understand the politics of the situation. Just the spectacle of it. 

• Like 1

Well we talked about it last night and he said since he's indifferent on it I can do what I want.  So, I guess I'll do that lol l

• Like 1