Goodbye Jesus

Six years later, still no regrets

ShiningScribe

I've heard it said before, the easiest way to become ex-Christian is to read the Bible. That's exactly how I ended up leaving the faith behind: by trying to get deeper into my faith. I wanted to get closer to God and fully understand his word, but doing so just made me realize how much I doubted what I was reading. The Bible made less and less sense, and I kept trying to rationally justify it. When I finally accepted there were no rational justifications for certain things, that was when I opened my eyes and made one of the toughest decisions of my life. That was on December 24th, 2012. Nearly six years later, I have never regretted my choice, nor have I wanted to go back. 

And with that said, it's nice to meet you all. I call myself ShiningScribe because I'm a writer that wants to be a shoulder of support for anybody consumed by fear and stress. My loved ones are the world to me, and that is where I shine. The scribe part of me desires to let the world know what I can create and why my creations are worth experiencing. I was raised by Agnostic parents under the belief that "God is whatever you make it out to be". They were fine with me going to church, and just fine with me leaving it behind. I left the Christian faith under the decision that I want to be the master of my destiny. I was always taught by my parents that you shouldn't change who you are solely to make somebody else happy. It felt like serving the lord was forcing me to do just that. 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am strong, and I have loved ones by my side to remind me of that, should I ever forget. My life is not meaningless, for I decide its worth. No amount of threats and insults will convince me otherwise. Because life is good, but living in fear is not my idea of living. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Welcome ShiningScribe.

With your experience you should be able to give new deconverts, or those struggling with questions much needed help.

I had a similar experience with reading the bible as I realised most of the passages indicated petty humans not an omniscient being.

• Like 1

Welcome! Yes, Christians should read the bible themselves, instead of cherry picking verses, or having it quoted from the pulpit every Sunday for them. It's amazing how many thinking people are willing to let others do the thinking for them.

Welcome aboard. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts & perceptions. 

5 hours ago, ShiningScribe said:

I've heard it said before, the easiest way to become ex-Christian is to read the Bible. That's exactly how I ended up leaving the faith behind: by trying to get deeper into my faith. I wanted to get closer to God and fully understand his word, but doing so just made me realize how much I doubted what I was reading. The Bible made less and less sense, and I kept trying to rationally justify it. When I finally accepted there were no rational justifications for certain things, that was when I opened my eyes and made one of the toughest decisions of my life. That was on December 24th, 2012. Nearly six years later, I have never regretted my choice, nor have I wanted to go back. 

Welcome aboard, ShiningScribe.

My big crisis of faith went down during my fall semester of school in 91'. Some 27 years later, I'm with you on the no regrets feeling. Never wanted back in. Can't imagine it going any other direction. The more I learn, the less likely I am to want anything to do with it. Maybe everyone has their own personal point of no return. For some it comes easier and quicker than it does for others. It can be abrupt and immediate or long and drawn out, depending on the person. 

And with that said, it's nice to meet you all. I call myself ShiningScribe because I'm a writer that wants to be a shoulder of support for anybody consumed by fear and stress. My loved ones are the world to me, and that is where I shine. The scribe part of me desires to let the world know what I can create and why my creations are worth experiencing. I was raised by Agnostic parents under the belief that "God is whatever you make it out to be". They were fine with me going to church, and just fine with me leaving it behind. I left the Christian faith under the decision that I want to be the master of my destiny. I was always taught by my parents that you shouldn't change who you are solely to make somebody else happy. It felt like serving the lord was forcing me to do just that. 

Fear and stress come up a lot around here. People are seeking help or advice. It's good that you found your way here because you may be able to help struggling christians and ex christians in that way. It looks like you relate to the ultra liberal end of christianity, many of us relate in contrast to the ultra conservative end of it. This community is a mix of both and everywhere in between. 

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am strong, and I have loved ones by my side to remind me of that, should I ever forget. My life is not meaningless, for I decide its worth. No amount of threats and insults will convince me otherwise. Because life is good, but living in fear is not my idea of living. 

I like that. You alone decide your life's meaning and worth. And you won't be moved by fear mongering, another great point from a strong minded individual. Again, great to have you posting here. Lay it on us! 

6 hours ago, ShiningScribe said:

I've heard it said before, the easiest way to become ex-Christian is to read the Bible.

Welcome to X-Xian, @ShiningScribe! Same here! Who would have thunk that by "read the bible" they meant "don't read the bible"! Oops! Well... too late now!

18 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I had a similar experience with reading the bible as I realised most of the passages indicated petty humans not an omniscient being.

That's what I later realized as well. I've heard it said and fully agree with it, "you cannot both claim to be humble and claim to know the will of the creator of the universe."

14 hours ago, TruthSeeker0 said:

Welcome! Yes, Christians should read the bible themselves, instead of cherry picking verses, or having it quoted from the pulpit every Sunday for them. It's amazing how many thinking people are willing to let others do the thinking for them.

Once again, I'll paraphrase something I agree with fully. "God does not deserve to be called Father if he does not speak to his children directly, but instead through some wild-eyed preacher who spends every Sunday and Wednesday foaming at the mouth about 'the gays' and hell." 

14 hours ago, Geezer said:

Welcome aboard. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts & perceptions. 

Thank you very much, and thank you for making John 8:32 my new favorite Bible verse. 

14 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

Welcome aboard, ShiningScribe.

My big crisis of faith went down during my fall semester of school in 91'. Some 27 years later, I'm with you on the no regrets feeling. Never wanted back in. Can't imagine it going any other direction. The more I learn, the less likely I am to want anything to do with it. Maybe everyone has their own personal point of no return. For some it comes easier and quicker than it does for others. It can be abrupt and immediate or long and drawn out, depending on the person. 

For me it was long and drawn out. The fear of hell was consuming me, and most of the time I obeyed God to please him, not because I wanted to. I felt like I just had no choice, and whenever I messed up, I would get so hard on myself and promise to do better. But when I finally started to accept that the Bible wasn't making sense to me, I was finally able to accept that I didn't have to please God. Besides, I can't accept the fact that my late father should be in hell simply for not believing, while people like Pat Robertson and Elizabeth Johnston deserve heaven. It's like LogicalFallacy said, the Bible more often indicates petty humans than an all-knowing God.

12 hours ago, DestinyTurtle said:

Welcome to X-Xian, @ShiningScribe! Same here! Who would have thunk that by "read the bible" they meant "don't read the bible"! Oops! Well... too late now!

I love it when people try to convince non-believers God exists through Bible quotes. If we threw some Stephen Hawking or Richard Dawkins quotes at them, I doubt they'd suddenly start considering going Atheist. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ShiningScribe said:

OP :)

The same thing happened to me, although I'm really only a little over a couple years out. I was so sincere that it broke me. I was sick of all the "christians" around me who didn't seem to give a shit about actually following Jesus or "having a relationship with god." I was all in. But all the knocking and seeking and pleading and crying and fear-filled begging opened my eyes to the kind of person that would put their "child" through that. Rabbit hole from there. 

I am INSANELY interested in how your parents raised you as agnostics. I might even PM you if you are willing, no pressure of course, because that's what I'm looking at with having to do the whole kids thing in the next few years. I'm in the Bible-beltish part of the south in the USA, both my parents/family and my husbands' are Christian and fairly devastated by my deconversion. Many of my friends, also many still christian, have not yet had children so I don't have many personal examples. I think the "God is what you make it" is a VERY interesting concept, I'll need to chew on this. I don't know how to broach christianity with my future kids. I don't want to taint them with my bitterness of christianity, there are some good values mingled in all the terrible ones. 

Enjoyed this post, welcome to the board!! I look forward to your thoughts in the future :)