Goodbye Jesus

Who/what Do You Turn To For Guidance?

SunNSand4me

For those of you who previously turned to the bible, prayer or a religious leader for guidance and direction in any area of your life, where are you turning now?

Personally, even when I considered myself a Christian, I never sought advice from a pastor/priest, never felt I got any answers from prayer (always felt that I came up with my own answers), and never felt I was guided in any profound way via scripture (read it for historical value and theological understanding).

I guess I've always discussed personal issues with friends and family, career issues with work colleagues and medical issues with nurses/doctors -- and have received plenty of good and bad advice. I read a lot of books, too. And for the past 10 years, I've researched everything on line. I guess I just read everything I can about x,y,z and decide for myself what direction to go. When I think about it, maybe google really is my god. I ask it a question, and it gives me immediate answers. Gotta love that sort of savior!!!

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Depends on the problem.

If it's an answer with finding out factual information, I just do a quick Internet search.

If it's a true problem, I look within. If I can't find the answer within myself, then I turn outward. I talk to my friends and family. If I can't find a satisfactory answer there, I sleep on it, maybe write a journal entry or two, and by then I've usually figure it out.

Personally, even when I considered myself a Christian, I never sought advice from a pastor/priest, never felt I got any answers from prayer (always felt that I came up with my own answers), and never felt I was guided in any profound way via scripture (read it for historical value and theological understanding).

Ditto that. I never, ever sought advice from anyone when I was Xian. The only time I ever got advice was when I went to Confession, since that's part of the ritual. But I just relied on my own learning and good sense as best I could, as I do now.

My mind is my guide. I know what my basic predispositions are, and if I happen to read or observe something that I think adequately reflects something I believe in, then I'll find myself thinking back on it when I need to. I just use the brain I was given and just give everything my best shot, same as before - but this time no longer kidding myself that Gawd was guiding me or otherwise wasting time thinking on Xian propaganda. There are some other things, such as the Havamal (an Old Norse manuscript about revelations from the Norse god Odin to humanity about some aspects of moral and ethical behavior) and so forth that I think on from time to time, but I realize that the human mind has penned down every moral code in existence and I have it in me to get through anything.

I still believe in a god, just not the christian god. So I still pray...

But now, whenever I am having problems I connect with other people who are going through what I am going through. I goto internet support groups(like this one), and physical support groups.

I am learning that communication is key. No man or woman is an island and we all need each other.

So instead of loving a god we can't see we should love one another as well.

I rely on myself now.

I rely on my intelligence to figure stuff out, my stubbornness to help me stick with stuff long enough to figure it out and/or solve it, and my resourcefulness to know where to look if I need help to figure stuff out. I trust my instincts - my gut, my inner sense of what's going on - a lot now too.

Sometimes I get stumped. But at least I've come to a point in my life where I feel like I could tackle or handle damn near anything, and if for some reason I encountered some situation that I couldn't handle, I'm smart enough that I could figure something out somehow.

mostly myself i write the problem on paper write ten solutions and write the good and bad that comes out of each one. or just think about it if i dont have paper. journaling helps too. or i might type the problem in a google search engine and read what other people have said about it. i pray, do candle magic, meditate so i do ask god for guidance i just believe god helps those who help themselves.

For those of you who previously turned to the bible, prayer or a religious leader for guidance and direction in any area of your life, where are you turning now?

I guess I've always discussed personal issues with friends and family, career issues with work colleagues and medical issues with nurses/doctors -- and have received plenty of good and bad advice. I read a lot of books, too. And for the past 10 years, I've researched everything on line. I guess I just read everything I can about x,y,z and decide for myself what direction to go. When I think about it, maybe google really is my god. I ask it a question, and it gives me immediate answers. Gotta love that sort of savior!!!

Personally, even when I went to church, I did not turn to a book of fiction for any kind of guidance in any life issues. I believe that people who do are just looking for a responsibility dodge for their own actions and ramifications of such decisions.

The place you should start looking towards for guidance is yourself. Stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility for your own actions, circumstances and consequences is the first movement towards real enlightenment - a true sign of being an adult, which seldom are christians viewed as or act as... To go within oneself to find self guidance during times of trouble, shows a true maturity and self confidence that can not be beat. If you really pay attention, you will figure out your way through something without having to lean on crutches like religion or fictional comic book characters to lead you out of your troubles. And just imagine the gratification of finding your own way...without the need of "other people's opinions, thoughts and feelings...." Just truly remarkable indeed. A true feeling of accomplishment.

When I think about it, maybe google really is my god. I ask it a question, and it gives me immediate answers. Gotta love that sort of savior!!!
Not only that, but sometimes Google will even tell you what you're really looking for! :HaHa:

And it's usually right! :lmao:

My mind is my guide.

Short and straight to the point. Well said brother ;)

I ask my friends for advice. If I can't get hold of any of them, I do a tarot reading and see what the cards say.

The front sight...

Always keeps the proper perspective on direction.

kL