Goodbye Jesus

Moving On

twosummerdays

I recall, vaguely, during when I was still on my way out, when I am still desperately seeking evidences that validate Christianity for which I'd put my heart in, a then-respected friend with a scientific background tried to convince me:

(Though it was literally a nightmare, I was lucky to be in a quite liberal and secular environment, and the church community I hanged out with were a group of college students. They subscribe to some extent of biblical infallibility but nevertheless hold quite a varied set of opinions towards evolutions, creation of the universe, etc. Quite funny how they reconciled the two sets of believes in retro, but the good part was that they have clear sense of boundaries and respect the choices of each other.)

'Look at the writer of this book and that book, oh, and that, that, and that. They are all well educated people and, like us, they've probably learned critical thinking when they were in college. Oh and our pastor, he was a physics major when he was in college fifty years ago, which was exceptional, and he is this pious. Can you name this many people with a thorough knowledge about the bible that stand against it?'

-----

Well, several years later I can finally answer this question:

There are, indeed quite a remarkable number of de-converts who even hold a degree from a theological seminar. The number of that certainly is lower than those who stay, but it does not serve as an argument against ex-c, why?

Because when someone realizes the absurdity of a certain thing, they have more choices than staying where they are, broadcasting what they've known.  

They have the choices of moving on, seeking meaning and happiness where they really exist. Ideally, they move into a whole new world of reality, leaving Christianity behind, as if that were just some unpleasant memory.

-------

Personally I find letting go hard. Six years later it still haunted me, like a lot of folks here. I am not undervalue this lingering feelings. They serve as proves that we a human beings with real emotions. And I really appreciated those de-converts who devote their lives to letting more people know the truths.

But for me, I wish to move on, as far as possible. There are so many things worth pursuing in this world, rather than these ancient barbarian folklores.

2 hours ago, twosummerdays said:

And I really appreciated those de-converts who devote their lives to letting more people know the truths.

But for me, I wish to move on, as far as possible. There are so many things worth pursuing in this world, rather than these ancient barbarian folklores.

If what you are saying here, @twosummerdays, is that you need to no longer have discussions regarding religion and your deconversion, I understand. I myself have no intention of "devoting" my life to this topic either. But if I can spend a few hours a week assisting others with casting off the chains of indoctrination, and do no harm in the process, I'll give it a go.

• Like 2

Sorry about my misrepresentation -- that's not what I mean! I mean, my end goal is to not live in the shadow of the past and get rid of the haunted experience, and for that purpose I may cut off the connection even including the discussions here, like a lot people do when they break up with their ex end enter a no-contact mode for the benefit of themselves. I have no negative indications towards people who stay not far from the path and offer guidance to others, you guys are courageous, kind-hearted, taking into account the need of others as well as yourselves. I am just saying that people do have more options than keeping proclaiming whatever they've found, especially when the discovery is about the absurdity of the theory. This serves as a counter argument towards the seemingly rational argument my Christian friends once gave, as noted above.