Goodbye Jesus

Ten Tough Problems in Christian Thought and Belief by David Madison

TexasFreethinker

Just finished this book by David Madison, who is a bible scholar and an ex-pastor.  One of the best I've seen at describing why christianity fails from historical, moral and philosophical perspectives.  He has a good sense of humor and I found the book to be very readable.  The topics he brings up can't be swatted away by christian apologists (not that they haven't tried).  If you are looking for a source to help crystallize your thoughts on the key problems with christianity I recommend this book.  Here's a quote from one reviewer...

"Dr. David Madison pulls no punches in this wide-ranging critique that explains why Christianity fails to satisfy human reason, evidence, or even basic human social needs. From the problem of evil to the claim that the Bible is the word of God, Dr. Madison exposes the problems of Christian belief as few others can. As a former believer, he understands why Christians believe what they do. As a formally trained biblical scholar, he can detect all the ways that bad biblical scholarship is being used to prop up Christian belief. Given its highly accessible language, Ten Tough Problems in Christian Thought and Belief is ideal for those who wish to start exploring why Jesus is not the answer, and why Christianity has never given good answers to life's most important questions."
--Hector Avalos, author of The Bad Jesus: The Ethics of New Testament Ethics and The End of Biblical Studies.

51nAacqSYoL.jpg

• Like 3