Goodbye Jesus

Some believe Jesus survived

Wertbag

Now I don't believe any of this but I thought it was interesting. 

One sect in India believe Jesus survived and travelled there were he preached for the rest of his life. They have a tomb which they say has his remains (but of course no one is allowed access so it can't be examined).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8587838.stm.

Their claims state Jesus wasn't up long enough to die from exposure. The story says the guys on either side had their legs broken but Jesus didn't. That being stabbed in the side was only to test if he reacted to pain, but the fact blood flowed shows his heart was still beating. Also they say the risen Jesus had holes in his hands and feet, a spirit wouldn't show wounds so it points to a living person. 

They had to flee or the Romans would have finished the job, and they needed a story for the people who saw him... 

I don't believe any of this but its an example of how easy it is to read the passages and get completely different answers. In this case it also shows a natural explanation for a claimed supernatural event.

• Like 1

At the behest of my father, a year or two ago, I read a book by Nabeel Qureshi that makes reference to this idea.  Apparently this is a fairly common notion amongst muslims.  It struck me as rather silly at the time,  and still does,  to be honest. But when I was reading the book,  it seemed to me to be a pointless distraction. Qureshi was arguing that Jesus must have died,  and I was prepared to grant the point,  but he kept going on and on about it.  Apparently for good reason...

• Super Moderator

There is also a tradition in Buddhism that holds that jesus travelled to India.  If I remember correctly, though, he went during the years between teaching in the temple at age 12 and beginning his ministry.  The "lost years."

20 hours ago, disillusioned said:

At the behest of my father, a year or two ago, I read a book by Nabeel Qureshi that makes reference to this idea.  Apparently this is a fairly common notion amongst muslims.  It struck me as rather silly at the time,  and still does,  to be honest. But when I was reading the book,  it seemed to me to be a pointless distraction. Qureshi was arguing that Jesus must have died,  and I was prepared to grant the point,  but he kept going on and on about it.  Apparently for good reason...

I recall Nabeel Qureshi........obvs his theology wasn't my cup of tea, but a clever enough chap. 

22 minutes ago, Castiel233 said:

I recall Nabeel Qureshi........obvs his theology wasn't my cup of tea, but a clever enough chap. 

My impression based on the one book of his that I read (No God but One) was that he was fairly clever. The book was all about how he saw that Islam was false, and left it for Christianity. The whole time I was reading, I was going "so close!"

He was certainly sincere. 

• Like 1