Goodbye Jesus

Is Religion Irrelevant?

garrisonjj

My life several months after deconverting has improved. I feel religion never worked for me so I am ending the charade. I am still haunted by guilt because i have to blaspheme by attending church and sacraments in a sacreligious manner for appearance sake for my kids. Am i a hypocrite????? I am the sinner i always was and I am resigned to the fact that i will not take religion seriously anymore? comments? thanks, gary

First of all, stop confusing "Xianity" with "religion." There are hundreds of different religions out there, not just one. Of course, that's what Big Momma Church™ used to tell us, that she had the One True Faith, but don't keep carrying that programming with you. All Xianity is a religion but not all religion is Xianity, savvy?

But to go on, religion is only as necessary as you decide it to be. You can make it an important thing in your life or only a "default spirituality" you refer to whenever the conversation turns to religious topics or whatever. You can remain a strict freethinker all your life or choose a religion based on your needs and desires and either way is just fine. The only problem is in making religion too important, and falling back into the Xian meme of dogmatizing and preaching your faith as necessary, not optional. All religions and religious opinions and philosophies are optional, not mandatory. All that is needed is to be honest with yourself and then decide what you shall believe and disbelieve. But no religion is necessary to live a happy life.

One of the best things you can learn after leaving a cult like Xianity is that it's all up to you. Just never let it instill fear or zealotry in you, and whatever religious choice you make in the future, so long as you are honest with yourself, will be fine. You're on a good road - stay the course! :)

One of the best things you can learn after leaving a cult like Xianity is that it's all up to you. Just never let it instill fear or zealotry in you, and whatever religious choice you make in the future, so long as you are honest with yourself, will be fine. You're on a good road - stay the course! :)

Great advice. Hang in there, Garrisonjj, you'll make it. Don't let religious teachings (like the concept of blasphemy) shame you. Think for yourself, and take the action that you think is best in each situation.

All the best garrisonjj!

Meh...I don't mind or care what you call it..religon or christianity..I'm done with the lot of em'...

So yeah...think for yourself and don't let other's define your 'world' or meaning for you.

Right now I am really embittered by how completely I allowed the Christian faith to control my life. However, I am working through that and realizing that life can be a beautiful place, sans adhering to the strict tenets of a particular religion.

Do I still have faith? Yes...I still believe in an omnipotent force out there. Whoever he/she/or it is...

Do I still have religion? No...and I am glad. I just realized that I was made into a slave by my religion. Perhaps Christianity works for others but it doesn't work for me.

And that is okay. I am learning to, for once, believe in myself. I can still be a good person and effect people in a positive way. Nothing about that has changed...

You hang in there. It will get better...It just takes time. :)

My life several months after deconverting has improved. I feel religion never worked for me so I am ending the charade. I am still haunted by guilt because i have to blaspheme by attending church and sacraments in a sacreligious manner for appearance sake for my kids. Am i a hypocrite????? I am the sinner i always was and I am resigned to the fact that i will not take religion seriously anymore? comments? thanks, gary

My dad used to drop my mom and us kids off at church. We'd ask, "where is daddy going." "Daddy's going to his own church my dears." Turns out that dad's church was the Idlewhile Tavern.

I don't know if that's a solution or not.

I am the sinner i always was........
If I hear you say that again, I'll hunt your ass down myself and give you such a power-noogie, that it'll probably start a fire on the back of your fuckin' head. :twitch:

Now, whadduhya think'o dat?!?! :Hmm:

:HaHa:

For the sake of your kids...hmm.

I don't have all the facts, so I don't know why it is good for your kids that you pretend to be a Christian. I've read many times that kids can never be fooled. They always know. So your sacrifice may be serving no purpose. I say sacrifice because I tried it for a year. Boy it was torture to go hear the stupid guilt-ridden messages.

Wouldn't it be better for your kids to see you leave religion so they won't get hooked temselves?

Again, I don't know the circumstances, so take whatever I wrote with a big grain of salt.

Lorena

Yes, for some, there is relevancy in xianity because some folks are too weak - or preceive themselves as such - to accept the responsibility of their personal decisions and insights into their world. It is one thing to bounce ideas off others but a completely different story when you turn to others for your own personal belief systems. Xianity is a great way to shirk responsibility as it gives you a plethora of scapegoats i.e. the devil, instead of one taking one's responsibility for ill behaviors.

With this support system and popularity contest, a great price -- or rather forfeiture is made on the behalf of the individual as not only does it serve to deprive a person of rich, fulfilling life with real friends -- those one can truly count on when the chips are down -- and gives them a false sense of security and stability.

Some people are creatures of habit. Habit being going to church every Sunday and following the usual "drill" in life. For some this is a good way to keep their "obsessive compulsive" tendancies in check as any deviation of "habit" can cause catastrophic repurcussions that O/C's are not happy to have happen in their worlds.

Yea, get rid of the "sinner" ideology and realize that "sin" is only what Christians do.

Yea, get rid of the "sinner" ideology and realize that "sin" is only what Christians do.

That's part of the xian branding -- aka marketing strategy.

I am the sinner i always was........
If I hear you say that again, I'll hunt your ass down myself and give you such a power-noogie, that it'll probably start a fire on the back of your fuckin' head. :twitch:

Now, whadduhya think'o dat?!?! :Hmm:

Christianity is snake oil. For them to sell you the cure, you've got to have a disease. They made up a disease, and told you you had it. Then they sold you the "cure." The disease they made up, and diagnosed you with is called "sin." There's no such thing as sin. it's made up. Sure there are good things you can do for people, and bad things you can do to people, but there's no invisible man in the sky looking down waiting for you to do just one "bad thing" and give you a disease called sin for which the cure is believing some absurd stories.

Doesn't work like that. Think about it. The whole concept of "sin" as a thing which exists outside the minds of humans is ridiculous. You aren't a sinner, becaus sin doesn't exist except as an imaginary concept. If you're a sinner, the Easter bunny is a layer-of-chocolate-eggs.