Goodbye Jesus

Rivers on Mars

LogicalFallacy

20 minutes ago, sdelsolray said:

Here's a link to the actual research paper:

http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/3/eaav7710

Thanks, looked for it and couldn't find it!

Nifty!

The underlying scientific theory as to why Mars lost its atmosphere and most of its surface water is that Mars' molten iron/nickel/sulfur core solidified to some extent resulting in a loss (or significant deterioration) of its global magnetic field.  This allowed the solar wind to strip Mars' atmosphere and surface water into space.

<Snipped from article>

"You would expect them to wane gradually over time, but that's not what we see," Mr Kite said. 

He said the study answers some existing questions but also indicates that either climate models, atmosphere evolution models, or scientists' basic understanding of inner solar system chronology was wrong.

image.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 4/1/2019 at 8:36 AM, sdelsolray said:

The underlying scientific theory as to why Mars lost its atmosphere and most of its surface water is that Mars' molten iron/nickel/sulfur core solidified to some extent resulting in a loss (or significant deterioration) of its global magnetic field.  This allowed the solar wind to strip Mars' atmosphere and surface water into space.

You are correct; this is the prevailing theory. But I would bet 12:1 odds, my 12 beers to any takers1 beer that this theory is not even close. My beer preference is Dos Equis in case anyone is interested. Since shipping costs would be a major factor for such small quantities we could just make it my 12 dollars, Euros, or pounds, against any takers single dollar, Euro, or pound sent to me via snail mail. Of course we all may be dead before they finally figure it out. IMO and theory Mars lost its north-south magnetic field (Earth-like) about 3 billion years ago when it also lost its atmosphere and once plentiful surface water. I believe this was the result of the condensing and freezing of the martian atmosphere to its surface as the planet cooled followed by the solar erosion of most of the atmospheric remainder. Afterwards Mars developed a small east-west magnetic field discovered about 15 years ago. In my model this east-west magnetic field was caused by the seasonal thawing and freezing of the polar ice caps of CO2 and water, which still causes a north-south, south-north seasonal winds of CO2 and a small percentage of water vapor flowing over the planet's surface causing this minor magnetism in the planet's surface rocks. The magnetic field develops perpendicular to wind flow as it does on Earth. There is no link to this theory since I haven't written the paper yet :) But, if the gods will it and the creek don't run dry I expect to do so in a couple of years. In the mean time I have other cookies to crumble, neatly of course.

But here's another  link  to the present ("but wrong" IMO) theory anyway.

https://www.pnas.org/content/102/42/14970

That's preposterous! The science clearly points to bovine flatulence.

24 minutes ago, Lefty said:

@Lefty This isn't the ToT. Please keep posts in the science area constructive.

1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

@Lefty This isn't the ToT. Please keep posts in the science area constructive.

Guess it's a matter of opinion, but I thought a little levity would be constructive, especially since science hasn't really a clue about Mars other than theory. A whole host of papers have been written, all pointing to a common understanding that they simply don't know.

2 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Guess it's a matter of opinion, but I thought a little levity would be constructive, especially since science hasn't really a clue about Mars other than theory. A whole host of papers have been written, all pointing to a common understanding that they simply don't know.

You might want to read about the missions to Mars and the data they are collecting.

You also might want to read up on what a scientific theory is before making the mistake of calling it just a 'theory'.

Gravity is a theory, the Germ theory of disease is a theory (clue in the name there), evolution is a theory, plate tectonics is a theory. Want me to go on?

And yes there is a lot we don't know, but given the data being gathered educated assumptions can be made.

Yes, I'm aware of the "scientific theory" angle. No need to get all technical. I was just having fun. Sorry.

11 hours ago, Lefty said:

Yes, I'm aware of the "scientific theory" angle. No need to get all technical. I was just having fun. Sorry.

All good.

I guess I get peeved off because I get statements like yours from Christians who are not having fun. They really mean it. Then I have to explain it. Then they say scientists just want to destroy God.... and yeah.

So when I come here I like to have a decent discussion. Possibly BO's interactions in the science forum has also made me inclined to get peeved easily. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, Lefty said:

Them flatulent Martian cows must be pretty strange looking living underground and such. Yes they have found seasonal methane production in the Martian atmosphere but seemingly no clue as to its origin. One possibility of the methane origin could be a Martian underground microbial source.

• Like 1