Goodbye Jesus

God Sent Me Strippers

Karen

I just recounted this on our podcast, but I wanted to tell it here.

My college roommate and I had just left a women-only Bible study and were walking back to our dorm. All the girls at the Bible study were talking about how they want to get closer to God...so they will be ready to meet their future husbands. In evangelical terms, the saying about you have to work on yourself before you are ready for a relationship is painted over with cherry-picked Bible lingo.

I actually was upset on my walk back to the dorm. I was getting fed up with everything having to do with guys, so I turned to my roommate and said, "That's it. I'm avoiding guys. We should want to get closer to God for the fact that he's God, not because we want a husband. None for me. Just me and God."

On the quiet road to the dorm, a large bus pulls up. A long-haired guy in short shorts jumps out (this is the 80s which might put the outfit and why we walked alone at night in perspective [we were all idiots]. He asks us where Juno Beach is and says they needed to be there in 5 minutes.

"Well, you passed it by about an hour."

He asked if I could give directions to the bus driver, so we hopped up the stairs and were in the midst of 25 oiled down guys. "We're the Chippendales."

They were great and funny and in the end, I had to pull my roommate out of the bus because she was having the time of her little Baptist life.

When they pulled off, we looked at each other, laughed, and talked to God about what a great sense of humor he has!

Yes, we believed God caused the Chippendales to be late, or even miss, their show, drive by little ol' me so that God could show his humor about me swearing off guys. Not a question in our minds. Oh, that divine prankster!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Still lovin' your show, Karen.

I'm glad this isn't the board you got kicked off of.