Goodbye Jesus

4 Perfect Versions?

HoustonHorn

Ok, I"ve got to throw out another rant from yesterday. The Sunday school teacher said that we have 4 gospels written by 4 different people, so naturally they are all slightly different. But it's supposed to be a perfect book. How come they can't see the absurdity in that comment? If you took 4 people and had them watch the same event, even one as defining as important as the resurection, you'd get 4 different versions. None of them would be 100% correct. And yet, we're supposed to take all 4 slightly varied versions as fact.

It was explained to me that the reason the four gospels don't line up perfectly is because they show four different perspectives. They were written to different audiences, each apostle had a different slant they presented, etc. This was not thought of as discrediting these writings, but as proof of the accuracy of the gospels, since God allowed the truth to be seen through not just one man. Kind of like if four people saw an auto accident; each might share what they saw, yet each account might vary a little, as in; one saw it from the north, another up on a balcony, etc. The idea that Christians hang onto is that they think this increases the Bible's chances of being true; if Mark neglected something, Luke could pick that item up. Most Christians don't like to think of another possibility; just as in an accident, even eye witnesses make mistakes and think they saw what really didn't happen; the gospel writers might not have seen what they thought they saw. If they saw anything at all.

Indeed - it is just another example of the overall stupidity of Xianity.

Xians think that four tellings of the same story somehow strengthens its authenticity. That's all well and good for human accounts that are known to not be perfect, but how in the hell does that jive with the assumption that the word of thier god is supposed to be perfect and infallible? The four gospels contradict each other on lots of points, and surely their god was not so stupid as to willingly permit four contradictory stories to be included in his omnibook?

But of course, since stupid humans made it up and stupid humans accepted it as fact, no one bothers to question this stuff. Except for us eeevil heathens :fdevil:

For whatever reason, this comment really has been on my mind since yesterday morning. And I think I've figured out why. The gospels are critical in that they are what define a Christian as a Christian. Without the resurrection there wouldn't be a Christianity. When questioned about the gospels, I would think a "true" Christian (whatever definition of that you choose to use is fine) would be willing and able to discuss at length the discrepencies, why they are there, and why they are important. Instead the answer is "meh, it's like a car wreck". So instead of coming up with a valid answer to a question about the defining event of Christianity, they come up with a cop-out. Of any possible argument an agnostic / athiest / non-Christian should be able to throw out, defending the gospels should be the strongest fight a Christian could make.

And on a slightly releated topic - I've already started two rant threads since yesterday, so I figure I'll just continue with this one here :shrug:

One of the SS teachers mentioned that the Bible is a "spiritual" book in that you will get out of it what you need. I assume this means that any interpretation is therefore valid. If I assume that a specific verse is preaching against the evils of gambling, and I have a gambling problem, then my interpretation is correct. Somebody else having problems in their marriage interprets it to be of help to them then they're correct. Unless of course I interpret it to be absurd - then I'm misreading it.

It was explained to me that the reason the four gospels don't line up perfectly is because they show four different perspectives. They were written to different audiences, each apostle had a different slant they presented, etc. This was not thought of as discrediting these writings, but as proof of the accuracy of the gospels, since God allowed the truth to be seen through not just one man. Kind of like if four people saw an auto accident; each might share what they saw, yet each account might vary a little, as in; one saw it from the north, another up on a balcony, etc. The idea that Christians hang onto is that they think this increases the Bible's chances of being true; if Mark neglected something, Luke could pick that item up. Most Christians don't like to think of another possibility; just as in an accident, even eye witnesses make mistakes and think they saw what really didn't happen; the gospel writers might not have seen what they thought they saw. If they saw anything at all.

4 different perspectives? Then I would have to say 4 different Gods to inspire the writing. That explanation is very true and throws the divine word of God in the trash, I like it already.

It was either Mark or Luke that wasn't finished and the church leaders 300 years after Jesus ended it. No original document has ever been found concerning the gospels that show their true authorship, all were written a hundred or more years after so they are not "eye-witness" accounts. The only passage about the trinity in the Bible was added, which is why some versions have that verse in parenthesis. Two different lineages are given and I would hardly call that a "perspective." At least in the Bible Jesus doesn't say, "Go and write what you have seen so that all may be confused, leave the Jewish ways behind and preach to the Gentiles, I will build my Church upon them."

If you want to know why there are 4 Gospels, go ask Ignatius.

No original document has ever been found concerning the gospels that show their true authorship, all were written a hundred or more years after so they are not "eye-witness" accounts.

So very true. That skews their "car wreck" analogy a bit. It's not like witnesses to a car wreck at all...it'd be more like my grandchildren (once I have some :P ) telling about a wreck I had when I was learning to drive.

I admit, the way Ex-COG lays it out, it almost sounds like a plausible explanation. I can see how they can accept it (despite the fact that they HAVE to or their philiosophy is fucked). However, closer examination of the four gospels and taking into account the claims of the infallibility of the book as a whole bring their beautifully built card house crashing to the ground.

I just don't see how I let myself BELIEVE all this SHIT for so many YEARS! :ugh:

So four blindfolded people are required to stick their tounges in to a steaming bowl of defecation...

All of them agree that it is nasty and shitty, but can't quite define what kind of defecation it is?

Question begs "So what? It all is shit, no matter what the source."

Similar to the Gospels, who cares what it tastes like? All bullshit..

SS/DD

kL

So four blindfolded people are required to stick their tounges in to a steaming bowl of defecation...

All of them agree that it is nasty and shitty, but can't quite define what kind of defecation it is?

Question begs "So what? It all is shit, no matter what the source."

Similar to the Gospels, who cares what it tastes like? All bullshit..

SS/DD

kL

I smell Fear Factor! Or is it the steaming bowls of defecation...?