Goodbye Jesus

Did you continue giving to charity once you deconverted

SerenelyBlue

I would like to know if you continued giving a share of your wealth once you knew there was no hell and Christianity is nonsense.

Yes, but I'm more selective about what I give to now.

I don't give to religious charities, or any money to anything religious but when I can I do try to give to secular organizations doing the same work, but better.

And be sure to research any charity carefully. Online resources include Charity Navigator. Check to see if the charity is a subsidiary of some other group, and look to see what the CEO gets paid. There are some popular ones where the percent of income spent on the actual cause is not as high as you'd like and the amount spent on fundraising and salaries is higher than you might think apropriate. I do not donate to any organization that has a CEO making in the mid to high six figures or more, which eliminates a lot of them.

• Like 1

We were supporting a couple of girls through Compassion International, one was forcibly married off, but we kept supporting the other all the way to college. Then we quit Compassion. She found me on FB, and she made it through college and recently got married, so we wired her a significant wedding gift to get them established. 

Other than that, I give to those I know who are in real need. One is a single mother who works HARD and sometimes doesn't have enough. She's vetted herself to us through years of personal interactions. I occasionally give to GoFundMe things. Nothing is a regular charitable giving anymore.

Now we watch our money a lot more carefully, and I try to be more careful at work, or working on my roof. One fall and it could bankrupt us. It is weird to feel that close to the edge, but there just aren't really any safety nets left. 

• Like 3

Our finite time of our existence, every singular precious moment, is what I consider our great source of wealth

My spouse and I volunteer roughly weekly at the regional Food Bank.  I can think of no greater human kindness then working to get food to those who hunger. 

Financially we donate to other human impacting causes, especially if our donation makes a significant difference "at the margin".  

• Like 2

We donate to the local rescue mission. I now it's religious in nature but we have  huge a homeless/tweaker/drug addict problem in Douglas County, OR and this place has enjoyed some success and really WANTS to give folks a hand up. Most "non profits" in this area simply want to get their precious government grants and keep the money rolling in.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:42 AM, SerenelyBlue said:

I would like to know if you continued giving a share of your wealth once you knew there was no hell and Christianity is nonsense.

Like 10% ?

I never gave the church's I went to shit, or cared for that 10% crap. Actually now I come to think about it, I don't think I was ever a true believer.

That being said, I have always given my charity out personally.

2 hours ago, hyperferion said:

I never gave the church's I went to shit, or cared for that 10% crap. 

Hyper, as the former Treasurer of a 200 member church, less than 10% gave 10%.  It was especially true of the adult lay leaders who preached tithing.  

A significant part of my history that created a significant amount of cognitive dissonance.

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 11:42 AM, SerenelyBlue said:

I deconverted decades ago.  I never gave much when I was younger, mostly because I didn't have much income.  

Now, I give more, both in amount/in-kind and in percentage, mostly because I have the income to do that and I like how it feels.

On 5/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, ConsiderTheSource said:

Hyper, as the former Treasurer of a 200 member church, less than 10% gave 10%.  It was especially true of the adult lay leaders who preached tithing.  

A significant part of my history that created a significant amount of cognitive dissonance.

Didn't the old testicle God say like, give everything or anything. Why can't I bring 10% of the chicken's I own into the church these days?

28 minutes ago, hyperferion said:

Didn't the old testicle God say like, give everything or anything. Why can't I bring 10% of the chicken's I own into the church these days?

Because the SPCA would bet their panties all in a wahd. 

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2019 at 5:05 PM, ConsiderTheSource said:

Well now THAT was enlightening. 

Trust me, even though Mrs. MOHO is a scream'n fundy, there is no way in HELL she would even consider giving 10% of our annual, after tax income to anyone or anything. 

Good thing too as anything to the contrary would send me packing soooooo fast! :magic: