Goodbye Jesus

Visiting Mass

Guest isis

Today at campus I was invited to go to a brief 20 minute Catholic mass. Now you may be wondering why would I torture myself in this manner. Will my very catholic friend invited me and hell I am studying math with tonight because there was free pizza afterwards. College kids with do anything for free pizza... :Wendywhatever:

It was actually quite interesting going to mass. I has never done it before..ex baptist. I swear with all the getting up and down in the catholic mass I don't need to exercise... :HaHa: But on the serious side the whole ritual of the cermony was actually quite soothing. I almosted panicked when the priest came over with the crackers. Luckly my friend whispered to me that I can bow out by asking for a blessing... :phew:

It was actually quite a time. It was like I was observing some ancient tribal cermony or peeking into a masonic lodge. Did the whole moves and stuff but I was just watching. I did almost laugh when they were going over the Judas story. And do you know that the priest gets to eat a whole half a cracker/

I did the whole play right thou. The priest asked me if I went to my local st. anthony's. I said I was ex-baptist. The guy looked surpised and somewhat impressed and I told him the I studied the catholics rites etc and that my mother was catholic. The guy seemed rather nice so told him that if I would go back to the church it would be catholic. Oh course i don't plan on it.. :HappyCry:

Abuse the system all you want, show them that it doesn't work like that in the real world.

I am tempted to go for the free pizza again... :HaHa: They are having it all holy week.. :dumbo:

But even I have my ethics... but hell it is good pizza from Robert's my favorite.. :rolleyes:

More to the point, can you stand being preached at every day for the sake of free pizza? Surely there's a limit to how much you can take.

I grew up in protestant and pentecostal churches and never though much about what outsiders, so to speak, would think about a church service or a mass until a friend of my husband's brought his 10-year-old daughter to an Episcopal mass that we were attending. This family has a Jewish background on the mother's side but are free thinkers, so she had never been to a mass before. Then I wondered what she thought about the ritual though I never asked her about it. Also, when my hubby's aunt died, there was a catholic funeral and her son (converted Jew from Catholic) and daughter-in-law (born and raised practicing Jew) attended and I wondered what she thought of the service.

It is interesting to put your mind in another place and look at pentecostal services or catholic masses from the outside...

If you were invited without restriction, then there is certainly no reason to feel bad about taking advantage of the free pizza - if you are willing to sit through the mass for it.

I've been to services serveral time (Catholic and Baptist) since I apostacised a few years ago. Over that time, my emotions transformed from a bit of envy, to ambivalence, to pity. I can hardly stand to go now and watch all the people who are so into it. It makes me sad.

I can easily afford to buy my own pizza now, so I'm certainly not that desparate, but I can appreciate a college student who is.