Goodbye Jesus

The Top 10 christian Gaslighting Tactics

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

If only we could get fundies to read that.

They might chuck a wobbley at first but maybe it would sink in...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MOHO said:

If only we could get fundies to read that.

They might chuck a wobbley at first but maybe it would sink in...

Nah. They would just retreat into their apologetics or just ignore it completely. As Ron White said, "You can't fix stupid."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Super Moderator

Yep.

"Christianity isn't a religion"... wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that bullsh!t. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t consider Christianity a religion. It’s more a classification for a vast collection of diverse religious cults based on a wide range of beliefs influenced by a few common books and traditions at differing degrees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"To be fair, Evangelicalism is not a monolith. Some Evangelicals eschew one or more of these teachings. Also to be fair, theologians proffer complicated work-arounds for all of them." This shell game is another mind-fuck, and it takes a lot of forms. "MY God isn't like that, my God is ___". I just witnessed this on Facebook where a psychic medium talked about Jesus being one of her guides, and an Evangelical objected. The medium countered that she has a relationship with Jesus and no one gets to judge that... This is a demonstration of the spectrum of belief surrounding Jesus. 

For believers, claim a promise, any promise... go ahead. When it utterly fails to happen, get this... IT STILL HAPPENED because he's faithful all the time, it just looks different than what you expected (the shell game). Alternatively, you may hear that God can say no. Even when he promised. But that's for your own good. Or you may hear that he's not a cosmic vending machine that dances to our tunes (how's that for a mixed metaphor?). Go ahead and object to all this falderal and you'll hear "Well, now you're just being contentious" like that's a bad thing. Contending for truth is a good thing. What they mean is you aren't submitting to their explanation and continuing to be a naive sheep that only goes with the flow and gives money. 

I went to church with a guy back in my Nazarene days, he had a ton of issues that the church didn't want to deal with, and he complains out loud about God failing. But he keeps going. He was in a Bible study bringing up issues, and the lady running it shut him down. But he keeps going. I wish I could talk to him now and see if it is just a social circle thing. He would do a lot better with a different circle. He also seemed gay now that I think back, but he'd probably never admit that. 

• Like 1