Goodbye Jesus

Recreating an Ancient Religion

TABA

Some of us have discussed alternatives to Christianity/theism for those who want something that fills the human desire for ceremony, ritual and something resembling spirituality.  This revival of pagan religion in Iceland is an example of what I think - and hope - will becoming a growing trend in cultures around the world: something that provides community, fellowship and ritual without strict moral codes or dogma.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190602-how-iceland-recreated-a-viking-age-religion

• Super Moderator

I get the idea. I assume humans have some sort of woo-woo gene that drives them to invent rituals and ceremonies. I lack that gene, so I probably don't belong in such discussions.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, florduh said:

I get the idea. I assume humans have some sort of woo-woo gene that drives them to invent rituals and ceremonies. I lack that gene, so I probably don't belong in such discussions.

Now Florduh, have you considered rituals and ceremonies that involve beer? Having been involved in a few such rituals and ceremonies, I heartily endorse the concept.

(BTW, the Vikings made lots and lots of beer and even the kids drank it.)

• Like 1

Yeah, I’ve considered paganism. But I couldn’t get over all the nonesense. It was helpful in leaving Christianity to put time into examining another tradition though.

I actually have never considered that maybe building my own philosophy and traditions around modern life wasn’t the way. Going to the movies is as much ceremony as I need in my life. Ceremony was always the part of religion that I found the most unnecessary. 

I dont know if I will change at some point once I have some distance and say yeah ceremony would be fun... and start.... knighting people? 🛡⚔️🏰Cause yey ceremony.

I guess people do civil war reinactments

And LARPING