Goodbye Jesus

School Rant

AtheistMommy

Today, I gave a group speech on "hip-hop" (it's not a topic of my choice, the teacher gave it to us). However, since my group was the last group (group number 4) we had to sit and listen to the others first.

One group did their speech on Brazil, the other on weddings. Both included "religion" information. The Brazil one did percentages of mostly Christianity sects and didn't include the percentage for non-religious or Atheists. It seemed like it was done on purpose. The other group did "weddings in Russia" and made it sound like Russians aren't allowed to have "religious" ceremonies. They didn't include secular weddings.

I wanted to shout out so badly, "what about the Atheists?!" But I knew if I did that everyone would think I was just being rude and childish. So I sat quietly and waited for my turn. My group didn't have anything religious to talk about. It was purely about the history of hip-hop. But I wanted to share my annoyance with you all. I did feel discriminated against even if it may not have been intended.

AM,

How DARE you feel "*slighted in the least little bit!!One!!111One One!!!"

Piffle, you insensitive CLOD, daring to EVEN think the religious orientation was in the slightest BIT offensive!

Oh, back to earth.. Folks don't even have the ability to understand that their version of the *boring nooze* blows bloody chunks, and in turn isn't something we want polluting our airspace..

Kudos for being polite AM, you did better than I did in similar situation..

kL

AM,

How DARE you feel "*slighted in the least little bit!!One!!111One One!!!"

Piffle, you insensitive CLOD, daring to EVEN think the religious orientation was in the slightest BIT offensive!

Oh, back to earth.. Folks don't even have the ability to understand that their version of the *boring nooze* blows bloody chunks, and in turn isn't something we want polluting our airspace..

Kudos for being polite AM, you did better than I did in similar situation..

kL

Thank you :grin: I did my best to keep civil. And I kept thinking, "maybe I'm just overreacting." But the whole thing made me feel a bit uneasy.

Today, I gave a group speech on "hip-hop" (it's not a topic of my choice, the teacher gave it to us). However, since my group was the last group (group number 4) we had to sit and listen to the others first.

One group did their speech on Brazil, the other on weddings. Both included "religion" information. The Brazil one did percentages of mostly Christianity sects and didn't include the percentage for non-religious or Atheists. It seemed like it was done on purpose. The other group did "weddings in Russia" and made it sound like Russians aren't allowed to have "religious" ceremonies. They didn't include secular weddings.

I wanted to shout out so badly, "what about the Atheists?!" But I knew if I did that everyone would think I was just being rude and childish. So I sat quietly and waited for my turn. My group didn't have anything religious to talk about. It was purely about the history of hip-hop. But I wanted to share my annoyance with you all. I did feel discriminated against even if it may not have been intended.

How about all the others at work fasting on meat and candy during lent,,,,and especially on Fridays! You should see the looks when I pull out a big old roast beef sandwich on every Friday in lent! The looks would kill,,,,I did it as part of my deconversion process. You did the correct thing. others can't stomp whats in your heart! gary

They can all fuck off quite frankly.

*Takes a big, hearty bite out of his chocolate buttons easter egg*

Mmmmm....taste the paganism....

Forget the paganism, those easter candy eggs transcend any form of religion or lack thereof, they are just plain tasty! Whatever view, pagan, christian, DrWhoist, some things are undeniably yummy.

*gets big, fluffy and wants to hug everyone here in joy*

*looks around*

*ahem*

Sorry for the hijack. It is interesting on how the "Atheist" or "other" categories are often ignored, and yet are treated as some of the biggest threats to the world. In this case, better to vent here than to have blown up there.

Perhaps there will be a later assignment where you could talk about minority religious views and the marginalization by dominant in-groups in society, pointing to an innate biggotry against religious outgroups.

Cheers!

How about all the others at work fasting on meat and candy during lent,,,,and especially on Fridays! You should see the looks when I pull out a big old roast beef sandwich on every Friday in lent! The looks would kill,,,,I did it as part of my deconversion process. You did the correct thing. others can't stomp whats in your heart! gary

LOL, Oh man I can just imagine you taking out that big roast beef sandwich and all the "I can't eat meat on Friday" freaks drooling over your sandwich. That's awesome!

Yeah, I figured it would have just been looked down upon and nothing would have been learn. It would have been a strike against Atheism.

Forget the paganism, those easter candy eggs transcend any form of religion or lack thereof, they are just plain tasty! Whatever view, pagan, christian, DrWhoist, some things are undeniably yummy.

*gets big, fluffy and wants to hug everyone here in joy*

*looks around*

*ahem*

Sorry for the hijack. It is interesting on how the "Atheist" or "other" categories are often ignored, and yet are treated as some of the biggest threats to the world. In this case, better to vent here than to have blown up there.

Perhaps there will be a later assignment where you could talk about minority religious views and the marginalization by dominant in-groups in society, pointing to an innate biggotry against religious outgroups.

Cheers!

Exactly, not only did they fail to mention Atheism which is a big part of China and Russia, but they gave stats for different sects of christainity. That really got under my skin.

If I protested every time a religious co-worker of mine did or said something that annoyed me, I'd have lost my job long ago. So I keep my mouth shut at work and rant online instead (after I get home). Anonymity does have its advantages.

If I protested every time a religious co-worker of mine did or said something that annoyed me, I'd have lost my job long ago. So I keep my mouth shut at work and rant online instead (after I get home). Anonymity does have its advantages.

And that is exactly what I did :grin: