Goodbye Jesus

Do they call you names?!

nontheistpilgrim

Rant coming....
Anyone else been ridiculed or devalued by Christians?
I note that in the UK Methodist Church there is a recommended service which asks ministers...."Will you hold before us God's call to holy living and be among us as one who awakens the careless and strengthens the faithful?"
Well, I'm not one of the faithful, obviously, but I do accompany my partner on the odd occasion so I must be one of the others who they call  'careless'! Now I object to that. As I get stronger and more convinced in my nontheism I still care about the people who I know in my partner's church. I care that they develop their social community. I care that they remain kind and loving towards each other. I care that they do not become extremists.
Careless? Moi? I object.
Does anyone else get called names?

Note: I suppose this word might have an old english meaning - in which case it needs to be changed!
  • Haha 1

How about Jesus and Peter calling us weeds fit to be ripped up and burned, or dogs that return to eat their own vomit, pigs that are washed only to go back and wallow in filth? This is part of the Us vs Them mentality of the faith. Peter describes believers as pure, unspotted, shining like stars of light in vast darkness. Laughable when we recall how Christians actually behave and speak.

But for some of them, it develops into a nearly racist attitude. Mothers that won't allow their kids to play with non-believers; can't intermarry with non-believers; and this attitude was used by the church to torture and kill "heretics" for centuries since god was going to burn them alive anyway.

Jesus made very black and white statements like a good tree bears good fruit, a bad tree bears bad fruit, and that we reject the light because it exposes our evil. Yet scriptures are replete with statements that no one is good, all our righteousness is filthy diapers, so when we first came to Jesus it wasn't bringing our goodness into the light, but confessing our evil (the exact opposite of how Jesus describes it).

It is a binary, black and white view, but with built-in cognitive dissonance that the church holds onto claiming it is all true at once. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

Happens all the time in The Lion's Den.  christianity seems to have changed a lot since I left.  Words I'd never have dreamed of using get bandied about like ragdolls now.  Weird.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:
Rant coming....
Anyone else been ridiculed or devalued by Christians?
I note that in the UK Methodist Church there is a recommended service which asks ministers...."Will you hold before us God's call to holy living and be among us as one who awakens the careless and strengthens the faithful?"
Well, I'm not one of the faithful, obviously, but I do accompany my partner on the odd occasion so I must be one of the others who they call  'careless'! Now I object to that. As I get stronger and more convinced in my nontheism I still care about the people who I know in my partner's church. I care that they develop their social community. I care that they remain kind and loving towards each other. I care that they do not become extremists.
Careless? Moi? I object.

Note: I suppose this word might have an old english meaning - in which case it needs to be changed!

Not much dealing with Christians here.

Mrs. MOHO devalues me on a regular basis.

She can also be very loving and an effective and trustworthy life partner.

So it works.

• Like 1

Psalms 14 "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good." 

There have been several good discussions I was having that suddenly got derailed by this statement. Almost a get out of jail free card, if they get caught out, rather than face the issue they can say "You are a fool, nothing you say is of value, I shouldn't even be talking to you" and an otherwise productive conversation is killed. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Do they call me names? Only once.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/20/2019 at 7:32 AM, florduh said:

Do they call me names? Only once.

Do you release she-bears on them? I've heard that is the just and righteous punishment for name calling... 

• Haha 1