Goodbye Jesus

The Christian Ventriloquist

Guest Glaswegian

Guest Glaswegian

Lurking at the back of the Christian's mind is a terrible suspicion which must be blocked from his conscious awareness at all costs: namely, the suspicion that when he talks to Jesus he is only talking to another part of himself. The Christian's secret suspicion is correct. Let me explain...

When the Christian talks to Jesus he is really carrying out an internal dialogue with himself. That is, he splits one part of his self off, calls it 'Jesus', and then puts words into its mouth. The Christian's conversations with Jesus are really a form of religious ventriloquism: and deep down he knows this because, like every other ventriloquist's dummy, the Jesus dummy never answers the Christian back. The Christian must do its talking for it.

When the Christian talks to Jesus what he is actually doing is no different from what Norman Bates did in the film Psycho. Norman kept the mother he loved and worshipped 'alive' by pretending that one part of his personality was her. Thus, to make Jesus believable, to make this fantasy-figure seem real and plausible, the Christian's personality must undergo a form of schizoid-splitting similar to Norman's in order to keep Jesus 'alive' in the fruit-cellar of his mind.

Another way to understand the Christian's 'relationship' with Jesus is to think of Jesus as the Christian's imaginary play-friend. As is well known, many children invent an imaginary play-friend - a play-friend whom no one else can see - when they feel lonely, abandoned, vulnerable, troubled, and when no one in the world seems to understand or care about them. In the eyes of the child, as is also well known, the imaginary play-friend can do anything, and is always there to talk to, to listen, and to share worries, sorrows and joys with, and even to lend advice. But there is a difference between the imaginary play-friend invented by the child and the one the Christian has called 'Jesus'. And the difference is this: Whereas the child is extraordinarily creative with regard to his imaginary play-friend inasmuch as he fashions the latter's mind and character all by himself using his own inner resources, the Christian is not so creative since the mind and character of his imaginary play-friend come ready-made for him by his religion. Needless to say, when the child matures and grows more confident and secure in himself his imaginary play-friend disappears from his life. But the Christian remains dependent on his imaginary play-friend even as an adult and never emerges from his infantile fantasy until he abandons his religion.

PS

The schizoid-splitting of the personality which underpins the Christian's 'relationship' with Jesus also underpins the Muslim's 'relationship' with Allah, the Jew's 'relationship' with Jehovah, the Catholic's 'relationship' with the Virgin Mary, etc. - but here I'm telling the rational person something he already knows.

Regards

James

Goodbye Jesus

Lucky for us, our brains are so small that there

isn't any room up there for anyone else. :Hmm:

:Doh:

Ha ha! Ever seen "Dead of the Night"?

Good analogy, Glaswegian. I was never 100% certain god was talking to me when I was a believer - in the back of my mind, I harbored some doubt.

Now, it embarrasses me to admit I ever believed god was talking to me. Oy... :rolleyes:

Ha ha! Ever seen "Dead of the Night"?

Holy crap! :eek: That @#$! movie scarred me for life!

Hugo....brrrr! Scariest...dummy...ever! :twitch:

Lucky for us, our brains are so small that there

isn't any room up there for anyone else. :Hmm:

:Doh:

Speak for yourself. I've got a cast of thousands up in my attic. Sybil ain't got nothing on me! :lmao:

i used to think jesus was talking to me as a christian.

but soon as i got in into other religions it seemed like it changed and wasnt jesus anymore like he was evicted and another god moved in.

now i think its just me cause why does it change with my ideas seems to me if it was some other god itd object or have some other opinion than what i was thinking all along.

i think christians dont understand we have the ability to have a conversation with ourself. alot of religions dont get this. your thoughts dont come from a god they come from you.

Wow! That's a great post, Glswegian!

I'm talking to some Christians on Bibleforums at the moment. My thread was "what does God feel like", and we're just starting to get into a discussion of how they knw it's God they're talking to. Do you mind if I add your post to the conversation?

I'm sure it would stir a few people up, but it might also get some good reactions.

Guest Glaswegian

Wow! That's a great post, Glswegian!

I'm talking to some Christians on Bibleforums at the moment. My thread was "what does God feel like", and we're just starting to get into a discussion of how they knw it's God they're talking to. Do you mind if I add your post to the conversation?

I'm sure it would stir a few people up, but it might also get some good reactions.

Interested Atheist

I don't mind in the least if you use my post on Bibleforums. Go ahead. You're Welcome!

Glaswegian