Goodbye Jesus

Have you ever been a victim of the prosperity gospel

Rickswordfish

Have you ever lost money to televangelists that preach the prosperity gospel if you dont knomwhat the prosperity gospel is watch this 

Well for 31 years I paid 10% of income to the Church pastor because tithing is what godly people do... but our church was against prosperity gospels. I've never given money to a "televangelist".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Rickswordfish said:

Have you ever lost money to televangelists that preach the prosperity gospel if you dont knomwhat the prosperity gospel is watch this 

No.  Did I miss something important?

• Like 1

I gave an awful lot of money to the church (10% of income, plus offerings for special causes), and it was definitely taught that we would be rewarded for our faithfulness on this issue,  but I've never given money to  a televangelist. Praise be.

I wish I had all the money I gave away to church, missionary pleas, traveling evangelists, 9 years of creating and sending out CD sets all over the world of one preacher for free (including postage), etc. 

Church building projects are another thing that deserve special attention. I was part of a Nazarene church for my earliest church days, and when they decided to build another building they pulled out all the stops on emotional manipulation to get funding. I won't go into all that here, but the many promises of blessings never materialized. They didn't pay contractors, they rebuilt and rebuilt parts of the building, they had us write scripture verses all over the plywood underflooring, lots of people took out 2nd mortgages, always selling selling selling with a big grin and a positive message of financial and spiritual return. Multiple pastors came and "felt called elsewhere" once they found out about the many problems. Bankrupt, sold the place to another congregation. 

Ive never give money to a religious organization

That was one thing I liked about the Catholic Church (at least the one here, I'm not sure if its globally true), the priest was an employee with a set modest salary. When collection was taken it was divided in two with money for the priest separated from money for the church. This worked as an incentive for the priest and meant big donations didn't go in his pocket. 

They also didn't believe in tithing, saying donations should be given from the heart and not demanded. 

• Like 1

Oh, also I'd given donations each week so total income given to a religious cause over 31 years is higher than 10%... I need a drink.

Fuck me... I calculate over 100k total given to religion. Holy shit. No wonder I still have a mortgage!

This morning I was waiting outside the bank a few minutes before it opened.  A lady came up and said, seemingly proudly, “I donated my watch to the church; do you know what time it is?”

Then when the doors opened, she darted inside and got in front of me.  I guess that makes me a victim of the prosperity gospel . . . .

• Like 1