Goodbye Jesus

Par for the course??

Weezer

Lately it seems several have appeared here, said they were so glad to find the forum, made a few posts, and disappeared.  Is this normal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was wondering about that too...seems like it's been happening quite a bit.

This forum has a long history of folks signing in as new members, making a statement or two, stating they are glad to be here and then disappearing.

Message boards aren't as big as they used to be, thanks to the newer social media platforms. 

Even Facebook is considered "for old people" by some younger people. They use social media apps I've never heard of before. Meh. At least we're not on AOL...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fuego said:

Even Facebook is considered "for old people" by some younger people. They use social media apps I've never heard of before. Meh. At least we're not on AOL...

Yup. My grandkids would laugh at this format. And there is no way they would ever post on Facebook anything about their lives that adults might see. Texting, Snapchat and Instagram seem to be the media of choice. Texting seems to be the main thing for them. And what's amusing to me is that they will text back and forth in real time when it would be easier, quicker and carry more nuance to just call and talk. But, horrors, they won't do that.

• Like 2

I will try to respond about my own feelings in an effort to be helpful to the OP.

I'm new here. I have a look around every day and read a lot of posts but rarely contribute.

I was glad and remain glad to share much of my experience (after all, I hope to continue developing my pilgrimage for as long as I have my marbles).

There is much here that is both interesting and valuable to me. But I often feel out of my depth and have nothing to say. Sometimes this is due to the strong American influence (that's not a criticism). The stories of deconversion feed my prejudices - praise the ??

I am still trying to find my way in life. Definitely ex-christian but not yet with a support group outside of the church. After tomorrow (see below) my support at church will get even weaker....this doesn't worry me.

So, I value the learning experience of this Forum, thank you all. I am sorry when people come here, share their very real challenges, get support and then the story ends: I assume they are not trolls as they don't come across like that. Other people disappear and I'm pleased.😁 I don't think this is a place for Christians.

Tomorrow: is the last time that I will play the keyboards at church (I have shared this story elsewhere on this Forum) due to arthritis in my fingers. Also, I increasingly have become stressed with what happens 'at the front' on Sundays, although this has helped me to develop my non-theism. I will still be seen around the building on Sundays because I act as chauffeur to my partner and may call in for coffee after the services.

I want to remain a member here and will contribute when I feel I have something to say.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

I want to remain a member here and will contribute when I feel I have something to say.

Thank you for letting us know! It is more a curiosity, I think, that spawned the question in the first place. We each have different needs and real-life differences that affect how we interact here. I am curious about the "strong American influence" since I'm blind to what that feels like.

Tomorrow: is the last time that I will play the keyboards at church (I have shared this story elsewhere on this Forum) due to arthritis in my fingers. Also, I increasingly have become stressed with what happens 'at the front' on Sundays, although this has helped me to develop my non-theism. I will still be seen around the building on Sundays because I act as chauffeur to my partner and may call in for coffee after the services.

Sorry about your fingers. I can relate having just had a knee replacement.

I can also relate to your continuing pilgrimage.  

5 hours ago, older said:

And what's amusing to me is that they will text back and forth in real time when it would be easier, quicker and carry more nuance to just call and talk. But, horrors, they won't do that.

Recently my wife took our older daughter and grandaugher on a trip out of state.  Daughter rode shotgun, grandaugher in back seat.  They texted each other inside the car.  Maybe my wife and I are old school, but both of us felt that was poor manners.  Similar to whispering back and forth.

Back to OP, some of the ones who leave at least say thanks for the feedback, but some just disappear with no explanation.  Makes you question what is going on.

6 hours ago, older said:

Yup. My grandkids would laugh at this format. 

LOL, are we (at least I) becoming those old codgers we used to joke about?  Things are changing too fast.  Just as i get used to doing something, they up and change it.

All contributions on this thread, for example, apart from my own, are from stated north american residents - it makes no difference here, I think. But from time to time places, organisations, universities and so on that are mentioned are American. I cannot relate to these personally in the way that I would relate to similar places in UK. Some denominations are unknown to me. This is not a complaint, just a statement that I don't always feel 'at home' or understand what is being said. If there were an equivalent forum in UK I would understand better.

Having said this, so much of the experience of being ex-Christian is, it seems, identical whether we come from America or UK. So I have no intention of going away.😜

Sorry, should have linked to Fuego's comment.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

All contributions on this thread, for example, apart from my own, are from stated north american residents - it makes no difference here, I think. But from time to time places, organisations, universities and so on that are mentioned are American. I cannot relate to these personally in the way that I would relate to similar places in UK. Some denominations are unknown to me. This is not a complaint, just a statement that I don't always feel 'at home' or understand what is being said. If there were an equivalent forum in UK I would understand better.

Having said this, so much of the experience of being ex-Christian is, it seems, identical whether we come from America or UK. So I have no intention of going away.😜

We have, and have had, members in the UK and several other countries. Of course, this site was created in the US so from the start it was predominantly American. Different perspectives from other cultures are welcome, even highly prized.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
4 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

I was, at one time, associated with the Elim pentecostal church in Northern Ireland.  Although American, and Southern at that, I am somewhat familiar with some of the peculiarities of UK religion. 

6 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

This is not a complaint, just a statement that I don't always feel 'at home' or understand what is being said. If there were an equivalent forum in UK I would understand better.

You aren't the only one.  I am an old Geezer from The very center of the USA, and I don't always understand what is going on.  Sometimes it seems like the society I grew up in no longer exists.  I am glad you are participating on the forum.  Have always had a deep respect for the UK, and it is good to get different viewpoints.  My ancestors are Irish, English and German. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Things are changing too fast.  Just as i get used to doing something, they up and change it.

Set up a dial wired telephone and a modem for doing internet and see how the kids react... 🙂

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, florduh said:

We have, and have had, members in the UK and several other countries. Of course, this site was created in the US so from the start it was predominantly American. Different perspectives from other cultures are welcome, even highly prized.

And the last one I noticed lived not far from me (I worked it out, I think) and caused some lively responses here. Not at all authentic! But he's gone, it appears.👏

23 hours ago, nontheistpilgrim said:

Perhaps some may be interested to hear how my swan song went (it's UK time, remember😉)

This service also was the first for the new minister. So I was interested to do my best, to contribute via the music and to observe. It also gave me an opportunity to play the Zambabwean national anthem of 1980 Nkosi Sikeleli Africa, a tune I love, but that's another story.

I'm home feeling a sense of relief that, more or less, I now am done with it all. If I was stressed by what happened at the front before, I'd be more so in future. The service was on the end of the spectrum 'Jesus is my boyfriend'. Many members of the congregation will be happy with this style, I think; others will not. Some corners to be rubbed smooth I'm sure. Those who watch the god channel will be happy.

I'm thankful for my athritis, I think.🤯

Please excuse my carefully-worded rant: I felt I needed to get it off my chest - a proper goodbye.

And now on with this Forum.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Whatever happened to @par4dcourse?

• Haha 1

I enjoy reading the thoughts, perspectives, & experiences from those outside the U.S. I value our international members. They add valuable insight to the international view of Christianity and the issues & problems it presents in other countries.

International posters don’t under estimate your value to this site. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be interested to see what the lurker count is like. How many readers do we have that for one reason or another don't feel like posting? Unique IP vs unique poster count... 

• Thanks 1

Im sorry but im guilty as charged. Havent posted a lot since my initial plea for help. But im in regular touch with a terrific guy from here who has helped me considerably.

Ive had a lot going on but will try to make a better contribution guys.

This place is awesome

• Like 4

I think a lot of people just want to be seen and understood, and once they get that assurance from this site they go off to face their life problems. Also life is just super busy. I love this site but I can't be on it as often as I would like, or to post my thoughts with as much thorough discussion as I would like. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 9:44 AM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Whatever happened to @par4dcourse?

A welcome diversion.

20 hours ago, Wertbag said:

I would be interested to see what the lurker count is like.

That would be interesting to know.  My guess is quite a few.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, nontheistpilgrim said:

And now on with this Forum.

Sounds like it was time to move on. 👍

• Thanks 1

I've also noticed that 1 or 2 veterans of this site haven't been posting much lately...such as my fellow eastern canadian Margee...but like DestinyTurtle said, life does get in the way sometimes.