Goodbye Jesus

How To Convince It's Not Punishment

HoustonHorn

Between my wife and I we've been having some trying times recently. Nothing between the two of us - we're not fighting or anything - but more work problems and a few others that I won't mention.

What I've noticed is that this seemed to happen about the same time that we had the discussion that I'm doubting Christianity. And this leads me to the worry that if I publically admit to being as far out of faith as I am she may see our problems as a punishment from God for my disbelief. I don't see it that way, I just see it as odd timing. But I worry that she will and it will either put a rift between us or drive her deeper into Christianity.

Any suggestions?

Unless you can show her that punishing people for not believing in a deity is equivalent to what Saddam Hussein did to his people, I think you're really kind of screwed. People like that are probably going to remain superstitious their entire lives unless something happens to make them question it.

I'd personally just wait until things blew over to announce your beliefs. It just seems as though now's not the best time...

Well it looks like the job problems may be clearing up for her soon. And mine are just seasonal - some parts of the year are worse than others. And once that mess is over the other problems may actually be able to open up a 'we're not being punished, sometimes crap just happens' discussion.

Plus, my problems with Christianity have been going on way longer than she knows so the timing really isn't as coincidental as it seems.