Goodbye Jesus

Bible distribution by missionaries

Karna

I came across this Youtube video by Torch of Christ Ministries where some American missionaries were distributing bibles in Mumbai, India last week.

I commented on this video that they should soon introduce the biblical slavery in India!

Some woman responded with this garbage -

In Exodus the Egyptians held Israel as slaves. In the event that you speak of the slavery in the bible that one is actually an act of love for families who had lost everything. They would get indentured as a slave knowingly and of their own will. When they had saved enough to pay to get their own plot of land back they were able to freely leave. And by the way if someone was living on their land they had to give it back to them. God had a lot of rules set around slavery. You should try to get beyond internet information and go to the proper sources.

"When they had saved enough to pay to get their own plot of land back they were able to freely leave."

I think the crux of the matter is if you are not allowed to freely leave, you're in a bad situation. Whether or not people are dumb enough to  freely sign up for it, there's going to be some slave masters that are going to abuse or kill slaves. There are slaves that are going to abuse or kill their masters. Ownership of people is bad practice. People have a fierce need for personal freedom, imo. 

Maybe someone should try getting beyond their holy book and think about stuff. (haha)

• Like 1

That reminds me of the bible forum where I commented on the mass rapes that Israel committed against young girls, and the forum responded that "no, they were forbidden to rape". 

So you go into a village, slaughter all the men, boys, and women, but keep the young virgins for yourselves, as Yahweh commanded. You just slaughtered a girl's family in front of her, and now she gets the "blessing" of being your wife or dying along with the rest. And you don't consider that rape, but a blessing. Judeo/Christianity is a mind-fuck, and our country's laws and culture are heavily influenced by this very religion. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Karna said:

God had a lot of rules set around slavery.

Yes, he did. How about this one from Exodus 21:

“20. And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. 21. Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he is his property."

So you can beat the crap out of someone and as long as the poor creature lives at least a day, you are off the hook. What a deal!

• Sad 1

On 9/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, Fuego said:

That reminds me of the bible forum where I commented on the mass rapes that Israel committed against young girls, and the forum responded that "no, they were forbidden to rape". 

So you go into a village, slaughter all the men, boys, and women, but keep the young virgins for yourselves, as Yahweh commanded. You just slaughtered a girl's family in front of her, and now she gets the "blessing" of being your wife or dying along with the rest. And you don't consider that rape, but a blessing. Judeo/Christianity is a mind-fuck, and our country's laws and culture are heavily influenced by this very religion. 

*This.

Fuego - when I began seriously questioning my faith , it was this story out of Numbers 31 that literally affected me physically.  As I read it with open eyes for the first time, my heart began pounding and my body began shaking.

I think it might have been the moment that i knew EMOTIONALLY that the Bible simply could not be true.  I had all of my intellectual doubts but this story rocked me to the Core.

And I thought about it just like you did - so having watched these soldiers slaughter your family, now you get raped by them?

• Sad 1

Yeah, Numbers 31 is pretty damming.

10 hours ago, older said:

So you can beat the crap out of someone and as long as the poor creature lives at least a day, you are off the hook. What a deal!

Not just anyone; you can only beat your property.  There are rules.

The next time you see someone lovingly embracing a wrapped-up copy of the torah, think about what is inside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TEG said:

Not just anyone; you can only beat your property.  There are rules.

Hm. So, since he didn't own me, the punk who beat me up in junior high school was over the line? 

By the way, here's another juicy one: Exodus 21:7 “And if a man sell his daughter to be a maidservant, she shall not go out as the menservants do.” Damn! Does this mean I could have sold my daughter and made a profit instead of spending all that money on piano lessons, leotards and ballet shoes? What would my 401K have looked like now?

Getting back to the title of this post.... There is a fundy in-law of mine who makes mission trips. Once he was telling us about his visit to a Greek island where they built some houses. He said that when they were done, they went around town knocking on doors and giving away bibles. "Some of the people threw them at us," he said with a chuckle.

Obviously, it never dawned on him that his actions were insulting and intrusive.

• Like 1

Yes, Numbers 31 is damning. I mentioned it to my fundy ex and asked her how could this book say a thing like this or how could god command this?

She replied with something on the lines of - Those people prayed differently!

Fortunately she also added that she doesnt really know why.

It shows that people usually are morally sound because of this intrinsic thing called empathy. And such 'teachings' probably cause discomfort to these people but they push this discomfort under the rug and carry on with their indoctrinated beliefs.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:44 PM, Insightful said:

when I began seriously questioning my faith , it was this story out of Numbers 31 that literally affected me physically.  As I read it with open eyes for the first time, my heart began pounding and my body began shaking.

One which has stuck with me is from 2 Samuel 12. David has fathered a child by the wife of his most loyal servant and arranged the man's death to cover it up. When confronted with the whole scheme by the prophet Nathan, David repents and is told that he is forgiven. But punishment still has to be meted out, and who gets it? The child, who is struck by God, we are told, and made "very sick". A week later, he dies. With my current Deist way of thinking, I cannot reconcile this story with the character of any entity worthy of being called God.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

One which has stuck with me is from 2 Samuel 12. David has fathered a child by the wife of his most loyal servant and arranged the man's death to cover it up. When confronted with the whole scheme by the prophet Nathan, David repents and is told that he is forgiven. But punishment still has to be meted out, and who gets it? The child, who is struck by God, we are told, and made "very sick". A week later, he dies. With my current Deist way of thinking, I cannot reconcile this story with the character of any entity worthy of being called God.

Yeah, that story always really stuck in my craw. Real assholish behavior from a supposedly loving deity!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moonobserver said:

Totally!  That one made my document of problems with Christianity.

Have David's bowels liquify on the spot?  No problem, he had it coming.  (Ok, arguably cruel, but within a god's prerogative).  

But kill... THE BABY??!  What in the name of anything good and decent?

Can you imagine any system of justice that did that today?  I can't even get my wife to attend jury duty in my place...