Intro to Zen - Alan Watts

midniterider

25 minutes:

15:50 - kind of funny

17:40 - interesting how we incorrectly describe ourselves

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

*Pokes head into Spirituality forum*

I like Alan Watts. Some of his stuff is quite good.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LogicalFallacy said:

*Pokes head into Spirituality forum*

I like Alan Watts. Some of his stuff is quite good.

No gods either...kinda. :)

Tao: The Watercourse Way and This Is It were early influences.  People here talk about “woo” with varying degrees of skepticism; but even if you don’t believe it, or aren’t sure if you believe it or not, some woo just feels good.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 10:52 AM, TEG said:

Tao: The Watercourse Way and This Is It were early influences.  People here talk about “woo” with varying degrees of skepticism; but even if you don’t believe it, or aren’t sure if you believe it or not, some woo just feels good.

Well, I think we need to leave people to have fun with woo woo things if they want to. Especially when the people are of sound mind and not in particular need of anyone's help in the matter. Such as they know what they're doing, they know that it's not absolute and can't be argued as truth, yet, proceed with having fun with paganism, magick or some other such thing.

Our site purpose is to encourage ex christians. If people are suffering from bad delusions we try and help. We use logic and reason. We shun con artist religionists of all variety in the process. But we also ought to differentiate between someone who needs a strong look at logic and reason and someone who already knows and understands anything we may say to them, yet, prefers to play around with woo woo anyways. I think that when it falls into a harmful category, that's one thing. But when it falls into a harmless category it's not worth fussing over too much. It depends on the context.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some woo may do more for you than just harmless fun.  Even if you do not believe in deities or the supernatural, Taoism can help you understand the flow of the universe and how to fit into it.  Buddhism appeals to some because they like the discipline and setting goals in their lives.  Meditation can lower your stress hormones.  There is a native American belief that your children came from the spirit world and chose you to be their parents; so you do not own them, rather you have been entrusted with the duty to raise them to be the responsible people that they are.  Even if you do not believe the backstory, that sounds like such a good way to raise children.  I could go on . . . .

• Like 1

I've listened to a number of Alan Watts talks. Love them! 

Someone put some pieces of his together into a youtube video with the title "The Dream of Life". It chokes me up every time I watch it.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:35 AM, Moonobserver said:

I've listened to a number of Alan Watts talks. Love them! 

Someone put some pieces of his together into a youtube video with the title "The Dream of Life". It chokes me up every time I watch it.

I know what you're saying. 

On 9/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, TEG said:

I think some woo may do more for you than just harmless fun.  Even if you do not believe in deities or the supernatural, Taoism can help you understand the flow of the universe and how to fit into it.  Buddhism appeals to some because they like the discipline and setting goals in their lives.  Meditation can lower your stress hormones.  There is a native American belief that your children came from the spirit world and chose you to be their parents; so you do not own them, rather you have been entrusted with the duty to raise them to be the responsible people that they are.  Even if you do not believe the backstory, that sounds like such a good way to raise children.  I could go on . . . .

Yeah, sure. But by fun I mean fooling around with modern paganism or magick, which some of our members like to do. Some staff members at that. 

• Super Moderator
36 minutes ago, Joshpantera said:

Yeah, sure. But by fun I mean fooling around with modern paganism or magick, which some of our members like to do. Some staff members at that.

Sometimes I like to sport some Pagan/Witchy looking stuff. It pisses people off. Obviously I don't expect spells to work any more than Christian prayers do. But Pagan and Satanic shit looks cool and causes comments. I'm a troublemaker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.