Goodbye Jesus

Good news

Wertbag

"Pew Research estimates that 40 million people are expected to convert to Christianity between 2010-2050, and 106 million people are expected to leave Christianity during that period (resulting in a net loss of 66 million)." 

"In Quebec, since the Quiet Revolution, over 500 churches (20% of the total) have been closed or converted for non-worship based uses. In the 1950s, 95% of Quebec's population went to mass; in the present day, that number is closer to 5%. Despite the decline in church attendance, Christianity remains the dominant religion in Quebec, where 82.2% of people are Christians."

"In 2015, Statistics Netherlands found that 50.1% of the adult population declared themselves non-religious." 

"The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) lost about 30% of its congregation and closed 12.5% of its churches: the United Methodist church lost 16.7% of its congregation and 10.2% of its churches. The Presbyterian Church has had the sharpest decline in church membership: between 2000 and 2015 they lost over 40% of their congregation and 15.4% of their churches. Infant baptism has also decreased; nationwide, Catholic baptisms are down by nearly 34%, and ELCA baptisms by over 40%."

I’d love to think that people were leaving Christianity - and other theistic religions - because of critical thinking which they would be expected to carry over into other areas of their lives. Like the fine people who inhabit Ex-Christian.net.  But I suspect that’s not the case often enough. 

I think the Google generation will continue the decline of religion just due to how easy it is to fact check claims. People searching for bible references or any apologetic preacher will always find counter arguments and clear evidence against the claims. 

Education reduces religion and technology improves education. We just need to help the third world get more education and the religious growth in those places will start to reverse. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

I have long harboured the hope that this current frenzy of American fundagelicalism might, in fact, be the final death twitches of christianity here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Things are complicated and confusing correlation with causation is a strong one, but I wonder if places with very weak/ corrupt state institutions are more prone to be involved in organised religion as a form of stability. :?

I hope the numbers are right. Here in my town the old mainstream religions are declining while the hip Christian rock megachurches are growing. The young folks don't seem interested in the traditions of the old churches but enjoy the praise bands and coffee bars at the new, more freeform Bible churches that seem to be popping up around here like mushrooms. If you cruse around town on a Sunday morning, the folks with grey hair are pushing their walkers across the parking lots of the Catholic, Methodist, etc., churches while the families with kids are trotting into these all-purpose buildings that include stadium seating, theatrical lighting and jumbotrons.

In the past this movement of people was known as the 'Circulation of the saints'. Most of the people attending the big jamborees were disaffected mainstream folk. I'm guessing nothing has changed - it certainly seems this is the case here in UK.