Goodbye Jesus

Other-worldly phenomena!

Karna

On 10/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, Orbit said:

Personally, I think the idea of a soul, like the ideas of reincarnation and the afterlife are just manifestations of the human fear of death.

That's what I found that I couldn't argue against at age 15. It pissed me off. I thought I could just level the atheist who told me that. But I could not. And when I consulted my youth pastor for the magic answer that devastates atheists about the above assertion, he could not. After a little sinking in for a few months over the summer, I suddenly realized that I had been positioned on the wrong side of truth as a christian, and dropped believing it. 

And after researching mythology and looking back at when humans began burying our dead, and leaving things in the graves for an afterlife, it became even more obvious that a detailed evolution of fearing death and the unknown arose from a previous non-existence and then followed our evolution forward every step of the way. We just made up ideas about the dead living on. And those were absorbed into the high civilizations and organized religions. It's very cut dry when we step away from the view of a religious bias. 

21 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

The ironic thing is that anybody who says they want to live forever has not really thought about the consequences of living forever. At some point you've done all that can be done, and you've done it infinite times. It would be a literal living hell, and you don't need the hot place for it - you just need to exist forever. If there is nothing after death, however, then you are free for all eternity.

No one probably really wants that anyways. Existence has always existed as far as we are capable of telling. It will likely always exist as far as we can tell. But individual life forms experiencing life most likely do not go on experiencing their individual experiences forever. And I agree, I'm good with that. I've lost the want or need to cheat death or live forever. Like you say, what good would that be anyways? I'm content with the natural order. 

• Super Moderator

It will be my luck that the day after I die, they'll come out with season 2 of Firefly.

• Haha 1