Goodbye Jesus

Kidnapper Ants

Karna

I came across this strange video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC4MjPKf3jY&t=207s

For some reason it reminded me of an article I read on the adoption-movement in evangelical circles! I have come across quite a few American christians now that have gone for adoptions (even when they have their own kids) especially from third world countries. On one hand it is a good thing - kids from third world countries will have a shot at an improved life that USA has to offer. But on the other hand these young kids will have their mind infected by religious ideologies for their entire life.

My ex's uncle and aunt have 3-4 children of their own. And they adopted a kid from China who now must be 12 or so. While visiting them once I got talking with this youngster. He said his favorite football player was some QB of Seattle (I think). When asked why, he said - he is a good quarterback; plus he is a strong christian! I was kind of appalled. 

Then he asked me about what I do for Diwali. I told him a bit about Diwali and how I go watch the fireworks at the temple. This kid was surprised that hindus have temples and the concept of god. He asked this aloud and my ex's mom had to interject - Oh they have their god!

I kind of felt sorry for his already closed mind. 

I am pretty sure my ex will adopt some day...she probably wants to save some kid who otherwise would end up in the eternal fires of her hell.

Childhood religious indoctrination by trusted adults is the primary source of a God Virus™ infection.

• Like 1

My daughter and son-in-law are fundies and, fortunately, reasonably tolerant ones. They have adopted five kids with disabilities from a country where those disabilities are looked upon extremely negatively. They all were abandoned at birth and would have ended up in the gutter or in the sex trade, without a doubt. While it pains me to have them brainwashed with Christianity, they are well adjusted, smart and capable and a joy to us all. Considering the alternative, being brought up in a fundie home in America will be much better for them than what would have happened if they had remained in their country. The parents know I'm an atheist but we all get along and I get to spend oodles of time with the kids as they live on the other side of town. We just don't discuss religion or politics. 

It is a good point that the majority of Christians have a live and let live mentality. Most aren't preaching, most aren't going on missions, hell most aren't reading the bible or even thinking about god. Like everyone else they are focused on getting the kids to school, the work day ahead and friends, family and social events. The real world takes presidence in most peoples lives. Many are Christian-lite, in that they claim a belief but never attend church or have even read the bible. 

Adoption into families like that will be a great loving environment and they should do well.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

My adopted son is being raised by an agnostic, free-thinking Redneck. 

• Like 2