Goodbye Jesus

Chick-fil-A Says It Will Stop Donating Money to Controversial Christian Groups, but...

Citsonga

So they will no longer give to controversial Christian groups, but will still give to non-controversial Christian groups. I still refuse to eat there.

• Thanks 1

The Salvation Army is “controversial” now?  This business of supporting or boycotting businesses because of their religious or political views is exhausting.  No wonder the culture has become so polarized.  This will not end well.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, TABA said:

The Salvation Army is “controversial” now?  This business of supporting or boycotting businesses because of their religious or political views is exhausting.  No wonder the culture has become so polarized.  This will not end well.

It is indeed exhausting. I get that Christians like to support Christian businesses, Masons like to deal with other Masons whenever possible and all that makes sense. There is a lot of false information for those who "vote with their pocketbook" and therefore it takes a lot of work to discover which businesses agree with you.

Also, AFAIK the Salvation Army is one of few charities that don't skim most of the money and provide huge salaries for their top people. Yeah, they generally support Christian ideals and agendas but are also helping people at the same time. I think maybe we just have too much information available to have simple lives anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, florduh said:

AFAIK the Salvation Army is one of few charities that don't skim most of the money and provide huge salaries for their top people.

Quite true. A lot of charities' CEOs take a lot more for themselves than the Salvation Army's CEO. 

I donate blood to the Red Cross, but I don't give them a dime. I have donated money before, but I stopped when I found out the CEO was getting an enormous salary. Nobody should be getting rich off a charity, and they certainly don't need my money if they can justify giving one person an exorbitant amount that far, far exceeds what I have to support a family on.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Citsonga said:

Quite true. A lot of charities' CEOs take a lot more for themselves than the Salvation Army's CEO. 

I donate blood to the Red Cross, but I don't give them a dime. I have donated money before, but I stopped when I found out the CEO was getting an enormous salary. Nobody should be getting rich off a charity, and they certainly don't need my money if they can justify giving one person an exorbitant amount that far, far exceeds what I have to support a family on.

I discovered this after making a rather large donation to one charity and then having it pop up in the news for irregularities. Now I check Charity Navigator and a couple of other sources before donating. I want my money to go to organizations that are secular, apolitical, spend the overwhelming bulk of their money on their mission, and that do not pay their CEOs an outrageous amount. I have discovered well-known charities that pay their CEOs $600 thousand or more, which to me seems morally wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2019 at 7:25 PM, older said:

I still refuse to eat there.

In a pinch, for the first time, I got a sandwich there several days ago.  It was blah!  Not going back.

• Haha 1

We give to the local mission every year because all of the money goes to run the place and they have the best success at getting bums off the street.

That said: I LOVE Chick-fil-a and will continue patronizing them. The food is good. The service is stellar. The employees are polite, friendly, and not covered in tats.

13 hours ago, Weezer said:

In a pinch, for the first time, I got a sandwich there several days ago.  It was blah!  Not going back.

Haha. My dad says he'd like to support them (he likes their stance, despite having a lesbian neice and transgender grandchild), but he doesn't like their food, so he doesn't go there.

While I dont like businesses sponsoring anti-LGBT stuff, I also dont keep track of the charity donation habits of every business I deal with. 

1 hour ago, midniterider said:

While I dont like businesses sponsoring anti-LGBT stuff, I also dont keep track of the charity donation habits of every business I deal with. 

I don't either. But when a business makes their religious policy public, and when that policy is in opposition to basic human decency, I will not support those views by adding to the profits they use to force those beliefs upon others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, older said:

I don't either. But when a business makes their religious policy public, and when that policy is in opposition to basic human decency, I will not support those views by adding to the profits they use to force those beliefs upon others.

Fair enough. If, like you , I donated money to some charity then I'd be more choosey. Regarding Chick-Fil-A, we have two of them in town and I've never eaten at either one of em. :) Not sure if it's because of anti-Christian ideology or it's not on my mental list of fast food places. :) Wendy's has a 4 item for $4 menu I've become accustomed to lately ... not sure what Chick-Fil-A has. 

Maybe I'll stick an upside down cross on the back of my car and go thru the Chick-Fil-A drive thru :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 6:25 PM, older said:

So they will no longer give to controversial Christian groups, but will still give to non-controversial Christian groups. I still refuse to eat there.

Yes for pete's sake, there are sooo many places to get chicken it is amazing that anyone eats there.