Goodbye Jesus

Surrounded By Brainwashed People

Amethyst

I feel like I am surrounded by brainwashed people. Why do people not use their brains? Why is it that so many people can successfully detect scams and the like, but when it comes to religion, they are completely brainwashed and don't question anything? I know it's a lifelong process. I just wish that I didn't have to feel like I was constantly surrounded by people who literally believe in a myth and expect everyone else to, also.

:ugh:

Sorry, I'm just so tired of being surrounded by religion everywhere. I feel like I need a hiatus from this planet and from all the brainwashed people.

I've tried joining clubs, but it seems like wherever I go, whatever club I join, there's always at least one overly religious person who talks about nothing else. The only clubs I'm in that don't do this are the sci-fi ones because people in them tend to be non-fundy, even if they are religious. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.

I know the feeling...

What makes it worse is that if you say anything bad about religion, or say "Um, you know there's really no proof," they all look at you as if you have two heads, so I feel like I'm not allowed to speak up.

:vent:

I was at writer's group last night, and it's becoming a "Christians only" club. I felt like I couldn't say anything because one lady was dealing with personal issues (it was the anniversary of her father's death and she said her faith was one thing that got her by), and then the lady who was writing the Davinci Code-esque book was like "There's this special on the radio and some guy says he has proof Jesus rose from the dead."

Don't get me wrong, they're nice people, but they are completely brainwashed. I am starting to look for a new critique group that deals more with science fiction and isn't so stressful when it comes to religion. It may take me a while to find one, though.

I've found it easier (as middle aged) to talk to teenagers about religion, then older people. I had a discussion just a few days ago with my sons friends. And it was interesting and very good. I believe I made them think.

Yeah. Most of the people in my writer's group are older (like, 50+). So they've been brainwashed their whole lives and don't want to think because they're comfortable not thinking about it. Especially when it's used as a coping mechanism to deal with grief, which I can understand. But people can cope without religion, too. They do it every day.

I went to meetup.com and there is a science fiction writer's group that meets in Mpls. (actually in the uptown area, for those who know the TC). Their next meeting is on a Sunday, so I'll be able to make it. I may be worth checking them out. I have yet to meet a fundy SF fan.

Your comment about talking to younger people reminded me of a story from my old church...

This was right after a revival - fortunately, I had to work late that week :grin: . Normally the preacher would tell us how many people 'came to god' during the course of the revival, but not specific stories. But he made a point to tell us that a 70-something-year-old had come forward. The funny part was that he made a comment something along the lines of "once they get that old, we usually can't get 'em". I suppose it works the other way as well. The more time you've spent in one train of thought the harder it is to get off.

To quote Ennis Del Mar from Brokeback Mountain, "If you can't fix it you have to stand it..."

Sad but true, especially when it comes to older people.

My mom is in her late 60's and I don't think there is ANY turning back for her now. She was forced into the religion by her parents and she has never looked back. She is a true blue bonafide believer.

So instead of battling with her about it I don't even talk about religion with her anymore. True, she talks about it to me but the conversations are totally lopsided...

I reassure her that I still believe there is a god(which I do), but she'll have a heart attack if I told her that I didn't think Jesus was real...

It really is hard when you see through all the lies. But just remember that you were where they were once...That is what I tell myself. Eventually some of them will let go, but more than likely many won't.

So I tolerate by taking my "christians" is spells. I hang around moderate christians, sparingly(cannot and will not deal with fundies...not this fresh into my deconversion), and when they start waxing poetic about their beliefs I just leave. Pretty soon they start to get it and don't talk about it around me.

But if they want an indepth philosophical discussion about GOD in general that is great...

See, the thing is with them, I never start the religious conversation. They always do. And it doesn't help that one of them is writing a book of religious nature. She's a wonderful writer, and she'll probably get it published, but it's still ultimately a religious book. And constantly hearing about religion when I'm still a fairly new deconvert (it's only been a couple of years) is stressful. So I think a change in groups will help. If nothing else, I'll make some new friends.

See, the thing is with them, I never start the religious conversation. They always do. And it doesn't help that one of them is writing a book of religious nature. She's a wonderful writer, and she'll probably get it published, but it's still ultimately a religious book. And constantly hearing about religion when I'm still a fairly new deconvert (it's only been a couple of years) is stressful. So I think a change in groups will help. If nothing else, I'll make some new friends.

They're all fucking brainwashed if you ask me.

Huh? Is this the same Yoyo? I remember you being pretty religious before. What happened, may I ask?

Huh? Is this the same Yoyo? I remember you being pretty religious before. What happened, may I ask?

Well alot of shit has happened in the past 5 months or so. I still have a personal belief in God, but people that claim to be these Bible beating Christians are the best bullshitters I have ever met. I deal with bullshiters everyday, and I would say that by far, Christians are so consumed by trying to witness and spread the "Word" that they forget what Jesus even said. :vent:

Then when you try to tell them what Jesus said, they look at you like your crazy. :twitch:

All in all, the people that claim they are Christian people are so fucking brainwashed into church rituals and people pleasing that they forget that they begin to become little and big judges in church, work, life in general..in lue, creating this big judgemental group of people that label themselves as Christians.This also creates a wall that is built into repentance and true divine forgivenss, because they have Pastor fuck off them what is right and wrong. Jesus said judge not, lest you be judged, and in Issiah, He said that He would write a new law, in our hearts. We are judged by the heart, not the congregation.

Anyhoo, I have to run, so good talking to everyone again. Hope to speak soon. :grin:

YoYo, are you serious?

YoYo, are you serious?

If he's not, then he's going a long way for a joke. Every YoYo post today has been angry and anti-Christian. Personal tragedy in the life of a devout believer will accomplish one of two responses: The Job response (bend over and smile), or "Fuck this shit! I quit!"

YoYo seems to have chosen the latter. Time will tell. :shrug:

Well, at least he's taken the first step towards not blindly believing in the cult. I'd rather deal with a cool Christian than a fundy Christian any day.

It's not that I don't like the people I know. They're not that judgemental (at least, not AFAIK). I'm just getting sick of feeling pressured to believe in a myth.

I have yet to meet a fundy SF fan.

I have, Alas. My best beta-reader was a fundie. I liked having her go over my stuff, but I finally just couldn't stand listening to her anymore go on and on and on about the bible and Jesus and - ugh, all that crap. And she wasn't all that educated - I kept having to correct her. It was annoying. I thought I found a new writer friend the other day, then I spotted one of her profiles and she had a link to Answers In Genesis that she referred to as the best site on the web. I'll admit it - I ran like hell.

I know how you feel, though. I rarely do anything outside my house anymore. I live in South Carolina. Rural South Carolina. It's everywhere. I saw a car with a Darwin fish on it once and started following him home. I'm that desperate!

Well, I write SF. If you're still looking for a beta, PM me. It depends on how much material there is, but if it's not a ton, I'll be willing to look at it.

:twitch:Yo-Yo ------- Is that you?!?! :twitch:

:Hmm:

What makes it worse is that if you say anything bad about religion, or say "Um, you know there's really no proof," they all look at you as if you have two heads, so I feel like I'm not allowed to speak up.

:vent:

Yeah, this is one of those things that pisses me off too. I think Grinchy covered it pretty well in one of his posts in the past. Something about society being conditioned to revere superstition and ignorance.

I remember this one time when my wife, mother and sister in-law were sitting in the kitchen discussing the Left Behind series. (back when it was really boomin') At one point, my wife was talked into reading one or two of the books. She's not much of a reader, and the books didn't really hold her interest at all. However, during the conversation my mom and sister in-law were going on and on about the books and the rapture and how Jesus is coming to float everyone up into the sky. Then, my wife chimes in with,

"What really surprises me, is that people actually believe this stuff."

They changed the subject REAL quick like. :HaHa:

Maybe YoYo is influenced by demons?... ;) We better cast them out, in the naaaaaame of theee LAAAAARD! (No offense YoYo, just teasing ya' :P )

Well alot of shit has happened in the past 5 months or so. I still have a personal belief in God, but people that claim to be these Bible beating Christians are the best bullshitters I have ever met. I deal with bullshiters everyday, and I would say that by far, Christians are so consumed by trying to witness and spread the "Word" that they forget what Jesus even said. :vent:

Then when you try to tell them what Jesus said, they look at you like your crazy. :twitch:

All in all, the people that claim they are Christian people are so fucking brainwashed into church rituals and people pleasing that they forget that they begin to become little and big judges in church, work, life in general..in lue, creating this big judgemental group of people that label themselves as Christians.This also creates a wall that is built into repentance and true divine forgivenss, because they have Pastor fuck off them what is right and wrong. Jesus said judge not, lest you be judged, and in Issiah, He said that He would write a new law, in our hearts. We are judged by the heart, not the congregation.

Anyhoo, I have to run, so good talking to everyone again. Hope to speak soon. :grin:

YoYo, do you know how much more intelligent you sound compared to what I saw of you before? It really is a shock.

I'm sorry that a lot has happened to you. Slag happens to the best and worst of us, and while it's horrible, it really can make us stronger people in the end when we get through it.

Glad to have you back!

I've tried joining clubs, but it seems like wherever I go, whatever club I join, there's always at least one overly religious person who talks about nothing else.

I suppose you could join an atheist or freethought meetup in your area...probably not too many religious fanatics there.

I've tried joining clubs, but it seems like wherever I go, whatever club I join, there's always at least one overly religious person who talks about nothing else.

I suppose you could join an atheist or freethought meetup in your area...probably not too many religious fanatics there.

Yeah. I've looked for groups like that, but they are few and far between, and meet all the way in St. Paul. I come from the Mpls. suburbs so that would be quite a long drive. Not to mention, I've only driven in St. Paul once or twice in my life.

Science fiction fans are rarely fundy, and I've had good luck with the science fiction clubs I've joined so far.

You're sounding a little judgemental yourself there, you whackjob.

Irony's a bitch.

Irony's a bitch.

Actually, according to the CryptKeeper, "Irony's good for your blood, kiddies!'

Don't mind me, while I sit back with the popcorn....anyone got marshmallows?

Irony's a bitch.

Lloyd? Why you always trying to piss on my cornflakes man! ?

Irony is a bitch though. Just for your knowledge, the truth and condemnation, are two total opposite seats in the judgemental class.

Guest Emerson

Hi Amethyst I feel the same way that you do about this. For some reason in the United States unlike in Europe, we've been taken over by fanaticism. All I can do is remember what I was like a s a Christian. Desperate, lonely, thinking that God and Christianity are the answering to everything and so people rely that as their crutch.

Some of it has to do with habit and conditioning, if they aren't taught to question things then its most likely that they never will. Especially in old age. Its worse since this fanaticism has been taken nationwide with president Bush who is freaky about his religion. I can't wait until his term is over! That's why I will never live anywhere near the bible belt! Ugh. Its like religion is the enemy of thinking and of intellect. You're not alone in your frustrations, trust me!

I feel like I am surrounded by brainwashed people. Why do people not use their brains? Why is it that so many people can successfully detect scams and the like, but when it comes to religion, they are completely brainwashed and don't question anything? I know it's a lifelong process. I just wish that I didn't have to feel like I was constantly surrounded by people who literally believe in a myth and expect everyone else to, also.

:ugh:

Sorry, I'm just so tired of being surrounded by religion everywhere. I feel like I need a hiatus from this planet and from all the brainwashed people.

I've tried joining clubs, but it seems like wherever I go, whatever club I join, there's always at least one overly religious person who talks about nothing else. The only clubs I'm in that don't do this are the sci-fi ones because people in them tend to be non-fundy, even if they are religious. Maybe it's just me. I don't know.