Goodbye Jesus

Gangsters Are Religious

eightman

Taken from Atlantic Times (atlantictimes.blogspot.com) quoted:

" My Dearest, My Love.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The last of the old godfathers has been captured. Bernardo Provenzano was arrested after eluding authorities for 43 years, when a courier carrying a load of fresh laundry was trailed to the hideout. It’s probably no coincidence that his arrest occurred the day after the election. What gives this story the "bless his heart" factor is where he was found, the simple conditions in which he was living - the ultimate bachelor pad, if you will: a rundown farmhouse near Corleone.

I’m not saying I feel that sorry for the guy, after all, being head of the Mafia does imply a certain level of corruption. It’s the humble living conditions, the open Bible on his bed, and his devotion to his wife that got me.

The note in the typewriter was a reply to the latest note from his wife, in which she said she regretted she had been unwell and unable to make "the usual lasagne." His note in reply began "My dearest, my love". That was as far as he got before police burst in.

Just a remainder to: a) protect my family; B) wash my own laundry.

"

I think that this item of news may capture your interest. This guy was a mafia gangster boss who was also very religious and dedicated to his bible and verses. So what role does religion play in this case ? Many gangsters of different backgrounds have some religious taintings, the traditional italian-american would be roman catholic, but many other organizations have secret societies and other combinations between holy and sacred.

Does religion help them kill ? Does the blood of christ make them like blood and desire to kill and be violent ? Do they feel justified in god's eyes ? are they afraid of god ?

I find it amazing that such violent people that go totally against at least the 10 commandments would still be so religious. It may mean that you can accomodate religion with anything or justify anything through religion.

I find it amazing that such violent people that go totally against at least the 10 commandments would still be so religious. It may mean that you can accomodate religion with anything or justify anything through religion.

You don't need religion to justify killing, eightman.

People kill people...religion, science, whatever is just an excuse.

These people lead lives that go against almost everything any religion says, and yet they are religious. They live a life that is totally contrasting with what they worship, and see no problem or are actually unaware of it. Religion does not stop people from acting in "non religious" ways at all. So then what is any religion, a free for all and do whatever ?

These people lead lives that go against almost everything any religion says, and yet they are religious. They live a life that is totally contrasting with what they worship, and see no problem or are actually unaware of it. Religion does not stop people from acting in "non religious" ways at all. So then what is any religion, a free for all and do whatever ?

Religion doesn't stop people from being people. In fact, sometimes it helps them justify their bad deeds. Having lived in Italia I can say that most Italians don't view their religion the same as most Americans do. An Italian can explain better than I I'm sure, but it was my observation that Catholocism is more cultural than dogma for most. That is, they are Catholic because they are Italian not because of decision. Most never set foot in the door of the church other than to perform certain ceremonies such as baptims, weddings and funerals. Most make jokes about the church and the pope even though this is a bit dangerous for them.

Regarding the mafia, it is my understanding that this to is a very cultural phenomena. Those in Sicilia and Sardinia and south of Napoli are born into a culture that breeds certain ethics. These are ethics of the mob but are also considered a norm for many. The ideas of vendetta et al are, or at least were, part of the very fabric of their culture. As such, unless they are philosophers, they probably don't see that this mafia culture and catholic culture don't necessarily mix. In fact, many probably consider a crime against the mafia code a crime against the church as well. If not, at least they think that the church winks at their mafia code.

In fact, I have discussed this with some Italians I know who were from the south. Many consider the mafia like a government organization, which you are obliged to follow the rules of. Most in fact like this organization because in many ways it is more efficient and certainly more powerful than the real government. If a young girl is raped for example, it is oftentimes the mafia who tracks down the perpetrator and makes him pay. The mafia has been there for centuries and in a lot of ways they maintain the order of society. Likewise, if you are building an addition to your apartment, you are obliged to pay the mafia for permission to do so. If the Italian government wants to build a water supply system, they must deal directly or indirectly with the mafia in order to get it done. Yes it's inefficient and sleezy, but it's not unlike a local government in say a place like Chicago.

Besides, I would guess that if your job is that of a mafia hitman or other that you have honed your compartmentalization skills fairly well. If not, you would have to live with the fact that you are a sociopath and most people are not so easily removed from their cultural influences.

Finally, would you say an IRS agent should have qualms between his adherence to the Christian religion and the job that he performs? The mafia boss that was arrested would more than likely see it this way.

Thanks for the insight. "Compartmentalize" is the word. This means you can believe in one or more contrasting ideas without any problems. You can compartmentalize to the extreme and think and say you believe in god when in church or in a certain context, and think and say you don't when in another. Like having multiple personalities. After all, what reason must everything be clear cut and coherent ? Just think, feel and say anything as it occurs moment to moment, day by day.

Of course gangsters probably think very little and just go with the flow they were raised up in, like many other people who believe in various clowns. There can be any number of contrasting ideas and logic within a set of beliefs and cultures, but if you don't think about them, they go away and don't exist, at least in the mind of the person. Is coherence and logic a luxury ?

I would really like to see some research on this... I think you might be on to something. If anything, we can learn a lot about human psychology and the us vs. them mindset through these kinds of observations. I am guessing that different gangs have different goals... but it is not a stretch that some may see their mission as quasi-religious.