Goodbye Jesus

This former Bible thumper can't cite scripture anymore.

Moxie

This is the point I wanted to get to, where I mentally could not cite scripture. I used to be able to cite book. chapter, and verse. I haven't read a Bible in years.

For me, deconverting was like an alcoholic keeping drinks out of the home.

So proud today. 😊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

But - bible bashing is so much fun!  You have to know those contradictions and moral outrages if you want to fling them back at someone.  (BibleGateway helps.)

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I totally understand. That's part of why I don't usually get involved in the theological discussions on this cite (even though I super respect the people who do). I used to read the bible obsessively and follow all kinds of detailed theological arguments, and for me personally the headspace is too closely associated with how I was back when I was a Xian (full of fear and anxiety). I rather spend my time thinking about delicious food, comfortable cats, and good music (etc.). I earned my right for my life to be about something other than the distorted interpretations of an old authoritarian text. 

It took me a long time to stop thinking, for the most part. in terms of biblical passages.

• Like 1

Mona, I soooo wish I could get to where you are at.  Instead, every time a religious/bible category comes up on the show Jeopardy! I inevitably run the category....and get immediately upset that this crap is stuck in my head! 

I so wish I could delete it all.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ConsiderTheSource said:

Mona, I soooo wish I could get to where you are at.  Instead, every time a religious/bible category comes up on the show Jeopardy! I inevitably run the category....and get immediately upset that this crap is stuck in my head! 

I so wish I could delete it all.

My bible knowledge is vanishing, as well. I would not want to lose it completely, though. A basic familiarity with the bible (and other religious 'holy books', as well) is actually fairly useful, as long as you don't start takin' the goldang'd thing literally.

• Like 2

Losing mine too.

But I just point to the works I have read that essentially prove the Bible to be man-made B.S. and that there is no need to discuss it. I also point out that if they read the thing with that in mind their attitude will change.

This scares the wholly carp out of them, which is not my intention, but I'm being honest.

Interesting approach you've taken. I completely understand wanting to forget everything about the Bible. I've gone a slightly different route. For the past year or so, I've been meeting up every couple weeks with an atheist friend I've known since before I converted to Christianity (at a bar, which is ironic given your analogy) and discussing the Bible from a purely secular perspective. You'd be surprised what insights you can glean once you realize it's just a mythological text written by mortal men. For example, I've been able to fully separate the Old Testament from the New, and realize that the former is a decent work of literature, whilst the latter is immature garbage.

Alas, I shouldn't tempt a Bible alcoholic too much. I'm glad you've found a way to substantially reduce the influence of Jesus in your life. He isn't worthy to occupy space in your mind.