Goodbye Jesus

People Love Their Myths Over Everything Else

Guest Cactus Ed

Guest Cactus Ed

And I wonder just why the hell we seem to be wired this way? All these religious nut jobs arguing and killing over a different take on a story/myth written down long ago...when Reality is staring them in the face. Why is it that Reality just can't seem to hold a candle to Myth? Is it because Reality is so undramatic, whereas people's Grand Myths are so full of meaning? I know that guy CS Lewis wrote Mere Christianity; is there a book called Mere Reality, or perhaps Mere Existence? Is there something about us big-brained hairless apes that we can't stand mere survival?

Hmm...I know there have been plenty of times in my life when I have felt happy just being alive, glad to be here, etc. A few acid trips in the 70s come to mind...also time with a lover, good food and drink, good friends, riding a motorcycle on a blazingly beautiful day, game seven of the World Series...

People will let you insult them in many ways, but if you insult their Belief, their God, their Myth, they will kill you ( if they can ). What's up with that?

Is it because Reality is so undramatic

Yes, and because when reality is presented, it is usually not done with emotional appeal.

Oh, almost forgot. Welcome to the board. And damn if your post doesn't remind me of Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

People will let you insult them in many ways, but if you insult their Belief, their God, their Myth, they will kill you ( if they can ).

Speak only for yourself ;)

Honestly, I'm a believer (although not one of them mad monotheists :fdevil: ), but I don't consider myself so fucking powerful that I think the High Gods I honor would need me out of all the people in the world to defend them. A deity should be able to defend itself, no? :)

That said, indeed I think it's because "mere reality" is never presented with such emotional zeal like (many) religions. It just doesn't give many people "the kick".

Oh, and welcome to the board from me too. Greetings from Northern Germany.

Hi, welcome.

My personal pet theory on why people love their myths is because religion is a form of Mary Sue-ism.

http://www.subreality.com/marysue/explain.htm

Basically it's a self-insertion, and it's done subconsciously. Only with religion, they are inserting their own ideals into what they want god to be like. So they end up worshipping themselves, but they don't realize it.

It's the reason you get the similar reaction from fundies, when you try to tell a Mary Sue author that his/her character is a self-insertion and they need to add a few flaws. Well, I don't use the same terminology with Christians, but they usually act just as immature. Really, religion is a very childish thing when you think about it.

People will let you insult them in many ways, but if you insult their Belief, their God, their Myth, they will kill you ( if they can ).

Speak only for yourself ;)

Honestly, I'm a believer (although not one of them mad monotheists :fdevil: ), but I don't consider myself so fucking powerful that I think the High Gods I honor would need me out of all the people in the world to defend them. A deity should be able to defend itself, no? :)

That said, indeed I think it's because "mere reality" is never presented with such emotional zeal like (many) religions. It just doesn't give many people "the kick".

Oh, and welcome to the board from me too. Greetings from Northern Germany.

Well said, brother :)

I don't feel the need to push my religious views on anyone. People need to learn that "religion" does not exclusively imply Judaism or Xianity or Is-lame. The only alternative to Xianity isn't Atheism and rejection of any religious viewpoint across the board.

But indeed, many people don't deal well with the world when it's revealed that they have a viewpoint that is incorrect. When the fantasy of angels watching our every move, for example, is shattered, many people feel alone or distraught. When the myth of Hell is exposed, many people are confused and wonder where the reason for being good will come from - even there, they can't find a reason to be happy.

For some, religion is just a part of life. For others, it's a crutch - one which they cannot stand without.

welcome aboard....

Basically it's a self-insertion, and it's done subconsciously. Only with religion, they are inserting their own ideals into what they want god to be like. So they end up worshipping themselves, but they don't realize it.

religion, god, the bible is looked at differently by every person. it means to them, whatever it means to them. like i always say... whatever god you worship, is the one you deserve.

And I wonder just why the hell we seem to be wired this way?

Evolution. One problem with being godless is that you have no one to blame.

All these religious nut jobs arguing and killing over a different take on a story/myth written down long ago...when Reality is staring them in the face. Why is it that Reality just can't seem to hold a candle to Myth?

Everyone has a myth, a story to live. One's own story is always the true story. The other guys story is just a myth.

Is it because Reality is so undramatic, whereas people's Grand Myths are so full of meaning? I know that guy CS Lewis wrote Mere Christianity; is there a book called Mere Reality, or perhaps Mere Existence? Is there something about us big-brained hairless apes that we can't stand mere survival?

In point of fact we are insane, because to be civilized requires it. Our ability to just sit quitely with what is has been beaten out of us in favor of being busy, productive people. "To enjoy life is the very last thing you should do!" This is one of our myths. If you live contrary to it, you will usually have a hard time eating. Heaven is to help you cope with not having fun here.

Hmm...I know there have been plenty of times in my life when I have felt happy just being alive, glad to be here, etc. A few acid trips in the 70s come to mind...also time with a lover, good food and drink, good friends, riding a motorcycle on a blazingly beautiful day, game seven of the World Series...

Are there plenty of times when you haven't felt happy? Like when you wrote this rant for instance.

People will let you insult them in many ways, but if you insult their Belief, their God, their Myth, they will kill you ( if they can ). What's up with that?

People have a lot invested in their story. Don't be messing with thier happy ending. It is all there is to keep the lid on insanity. Ask Pandora.

In point of fact we are insane, because to be civilized requires it. Our ability to just sit quitely with what is has been beaten out of us in favor of being busy, productive people. "To enjoy life is the very last thing you should do!" This is one of our myths. If you live contrary to it, you will usually have a hard time eating. Heaven is to help you cope with not having fun here.
You see it this way too, Cheffy?

I admit, I don't look at it this way all of the time, but the thought does indeed surface every so often. :Hmm:

You see it this way too, Cheffy?

I admit, I don't look at it this way all of the time, but the thought does indeed surface every so often. :Hmm:

Yes. This is why you spent so much time in school practicing sitting still and quite, bored out of your skull working for a mark on a bit of paper, when you could have been romping and giggling and having fun. Now you know how to do all sorts of boring tedious stuff for hours a day for marks on a bit of paper. The marks on the paper are your permission to eat.

So this is what you find when you peel away the layers of the onion, huh? :Hmm:

So this is what you find when you peel away the layers of the onion, huh? :Hmm:

Yes, never peer too deeply into the mind of a chef.