Goodbye Jesus

POPE IN TROUBLE FOR BEING HONEST

Weezer

The Catholics finally get a Pope who is a half decent guy, and he gets into trouble for his honesty.  He rejects the title, "Vicar of Christ", and the old guard comes down on him.  He has gotten into trouble before for some "liberal" views, but this one may create some real problems.  What do you think will happen with him?  The thought has crossed my mind that there may be an assassination attempt.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I did some quick research and found that some see him as elevating himself to being a dictator.  But I took it as him humbling himself to being a mortal man.  What is your take on this situation?

40 minutes ago, Weezer said:

The Catholics finally get a Pope who is a half decent guy, and he gets into trouble for his honesty.  He rejects the title, "Vicar of Christ", and the old guard comes down on him.  He has gotten into trouble before for some "liberal" views, but this one may create some real problems.  What do you think will happen with him?  The thought has crossed my mind that there may be an assassination attempt.

You can never tell about an assassination because it needs so very few non reality based people to make it happen. It is interesting that while the US christian community has drifted further and further right the present pope is so far left by church standards. It does seem like the opposing religious/political dynamics could become explosive. I don't have a catholic background so I have no meaningful opinion with regard to this title conundrum but if the tension in this situation continues to escalate a tipping point will likely be reached somewhere down the line.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The RCC is above all a political force. The establishment will not allow anyone to have a negative impact on their massive influence and income. If anyone high up in the organization materially gets in the way I imagine the problem would be resolved by any means necessary. It's not personal, it's business.

2 hours ago, Weezer said:

I’m sorry, what did he say that is causing such a ruckus? I haven’t been watching or reading much news lately.

5 hours ago, Geezer said:

I’m sorry, what did he say that is causing such a ruckus? I haven’t been watching or reading much news lately.

He put out some kind of annual report(?) Which usually has the pope's name with his title as, "Vicar of Christ".  He didn't add the title, and added a footnote, something to the effect that the title is a historical one.  I took it that it was his way of saying that he is simply a mortal man, which in itself is heresy in some church peoples view.  But I saw where at least one person high up in the Church thinks he is a trying to become a dictator and change the Church.  What ever is going on, he may be in deep dodo.  There has been a movement against him for some time before this.  A lot of people see their power structure the way florduh describes it above.  And from what I know about their past, I tend to agree.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Weezer. Dictator or Reformer? I’m not, nor have I ever been, a Catholic. Based on the history of the Catholic Church, and their latest scandals, it would seem that somebody needs to clean house and implement some radical changes and reforms. 

Allowing Priest and Nuns to marry would seem to be an obvious first step. And somebody needs to tell the Pope that he needs some new and redesigned hats. 

2 hours ago, Geezer said:

And somebody needs to tell the Pope that he needs some new and redesigned hats. 

Personally, I miss seeing the pope wearing his modest tiara.  It hasn't been used in recent years, because I guess it was seen as a bit, well, ostentatious...

Tiara.jpg

• Haha 1

As for the pope acting like a dictator, I think that's pretty much what popes have always been expected to be.

• Like 2

I believe Francis is just fine. Most Catholics love and agree with him. He is humble, honest, and has really helped put a Christ like face on the church. He is also reforming the Church from within. He has gotten heat from some of the abuse handling, but only because he will not blame his predecessor. As far as I can tell, he's done more than the last two popes to clean out the "swamp."

There are plenty who don't like him, but they tend to be on the right most fringe of the Church. Cardinal Burke, Patrick Coffin, Patrick Madrid, Fr. Frank Pavone, and others like them who seem to identify more with conservative Republicans of the US than with Jesus. Indeed they hold Trump up as a savior while attacking Pope Francis.

Worst case scenario (or best depending on your POV) he will cause another split in the Church. And it will be between the Cardinal Burke types and those who love Pope Francis or at least believe that he his the vicar of Christ.

• Thanks 1

By the way, his dropping of the title is one of many actions like this. I am sure it is largely founded in humility, but it is also an important step in repairing the schism with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

• Thanks 1

On 4/5/2020 at 4:09 PM, Weezer said:

God,

Father,

III...

2 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

God,

Father,

III...

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but my brain is not getting your message.

14 hours ago, Geezer said:

Thanks for the info Weezer. Dictator or Reformer? 

Reformer is probably a better word.  But the right wing sees that as heresy.  They want the S.O.S.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AcrobaticDetective said:

By the way, his dropping of the title is one of many actions like this. I am sure it is largely founded in humility, but it is also an important step in repairing the schism with the Eastern Orthodox Churches.

Thanks for your insight!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weezer said:

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but my brain is not getting your message.

The plot for The Godfather part 3.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

"Yo, Vinnie, I got some work for yas...."

• Haha 2

On 4/7/2020 at 6:54 AM, Joshpantera said:

👍👍  Ha. I missed the obvious on that one!