4. Control of human population

Person-to-Person Violence

1. Parental abuse – control of child
  2. Spousal abuse – control of spouse
  3. Rape – control of victim
  4. Murder – control – or lack of control of the victim

Religious violence

1. See all of the above.

Can anyone think of one form of human violence that does not originate in the need to control?

Random violence.

Some could say it's a need to feel in control of one's own life, but there are those who just are.

Violent, that is.

Random violence.

Some could say it's a need to feel in control of one's own life, but there are those who just are.

Violent, that is.

Hello Dhampir:

I'm not trying to be contridictitory here... I really am thinking about this issue ..

Do you really think there are "those who just are ... violent, that is"?

I mean that way from birth, by nature?

Or, are we taught to use violence to control, feel in control, or respond to lack of control?

what about the human will to power? thats what you could say instead of control. or control is a tool for the will to power.

i dont know its very late for me :)

just thinking aloud here, but perhaps these are the truths recognized in many religions.

control, or the will to, lies in the ego, in fact it is the ego. thats could be whats meant for christianity in the teachings of let god take control. its the frustration with humanity and the hope for heaven/hell punishment in their pain of anothers control. christians were once the underdogs too. and buddhism has many teachings about or indirectly related to the "sin" of this control. i think a buddhists attitude its pretty much about emotional passivism as a means to not fall into the same trap.

perhaps those that seek control should be looked at with compasion, for they may be simple but sufer overwhelment the same as everyone. they just dont know a constructive outlet. the root of evil as said many times is about not recognizing the ethicals of ones actions and then possesing no empathy. or in another words indulging your will to control.

again sorry for the armchair philosophy:)

I think will to power, for neitchzie, was essentally about control. Thats why he broke morality it to two basic sub sects, Slave morality, and Master morality. What he meant by that is that the Masters (read people in power) believe in a morality that lets them mantain thier power. while slaves (read, those not in power) believe in a morality that helps will take power away from those in power.

On a slightly different note, I think that the reason the bible can be so contradictory is that both moral systems are taught in the book.

Can anyone think of one form of human violence that does not originate in the need to control?

Hi OM. Do you think that the issue is really about lack of control? Someone feels essentially not in control of themselves and they think that it is necessary to arrange people and things in order to feel secure? Someone who feels jealous maybe moved to harm someone. They are essentially out of control of their emotions, and they think that the action they take will enable them to feel in control. So maybe all violence is a misguided attempt at self control, which is the only true control we can have.

There are those for whom the exertion of their physical authority is a matter of course. The only time control even enters into it is when they lose their bid, meaning lose a fight or what have you.

It's not so much a need to feelin control, but the belief (not necessarily conscious) that control is theirs and they can threfore take these actions. It's like how some people just can't understand the reason for restraint, or not violating others' space.

Do you think that the issue is really about lack of control? Someone feels essentially not in control of themselves and they think that it is necessary to arrange people and things in order to feel secure? ....

Yes... I think you have a point. Violence is one response to feeling a "lack of control". But ... in the end it moves back to the....

use violence to control, feel in control, or respond to lack of control

Dhampir

There are those for whom the exertion of their physical authority is a matter of course. The only time control even enters into it is when they lose their bid, meaning lose a fight or what have you.

But, don't we call these people "controlling". Now keep in mind here - my mother says out of six children I am the one with the most "control issues". :grin: She says it - because I inherited them from her. :grin:

See the following dictionary definition of control.

to exercise restraining or directing influence over : REGULATE b : to have power over :

Even, for those of us with naturally controlling personalities and who have learned NOT to take these traits to a violent conclusion - control is part of the picture. Even in our daily interactions. "exertion of their physical authority" IS an act of "control", whether conscious or unconscious. They take action when they have LOST control, or they feel they MAY lose control.

The need to feel in control is a common personality trait for all humans. It is essential for our survival. Animals feel the need for control also. Animals will fight over control of territory, control of a female mate, control over food hunted down, etc...

But, this need to feel in control can go too far, it can descend into un-needed and unwarranted violence. So to grow as a human race, individually and culturally we have to learn to temper this desire for control. How often, in our culture, do you hear the phrase, "It's not all about you". My husband and I have a joke we use when the other is having a hard time with control issues. We say, "give up the big C, you can do it". :)

For humanity, it is common to remind each other of the need to let go. A huge part of parenting is teaching our children they have control over two things, the way they think and the way they act. A huge part of any loving and committed relationship is learning to "let go" to give up control of the person we love.

It's not so much a need to feelin control, but the belief (not necessarily conscious) that control is theirs and they can threfore take these actions. It's like how some people just can't understand the reason for restraint, or not violating others' space.

I agree with you ... and even if unconscious their violent actions stem from the need to be in control.

Ped

just thinking aloud here, but perhaps these are the truths recognized in many religions.

control, or the will to, lies in the ego, in fact it is the ego. thats could be whats meant for christianity in the teachings of let god take control. its the frustration with humanity and the hope for heaven/hell punishment in their pain of anothers control. christians were once the underdogs too. and buddhism has many teachings about or indirectly related to the "sin" of this control

I think you are right. I also believe that political systems exist because of an underlying need for control. For that matter, it could even be said that science exists because of a human need (conscious or unconscious) for control.

OM,

Here a couple of very good books to read in understanding the roots and causes of violence. Although, I have to warn you they are not pleasant to read.

Ghosts from the Nursery: Tracing the Roots of Violence

High Risk : Children Without A Conscience