Goodbye Jesus

Visiting A Conservative Jewish Synagogue

Guest JP

I'm going with a friend tomorrow morning to a conservative Jewish service. She is taking a world religions class, and one of their assignments is to go to a church that isn't their own religion. She chose Judaism (she is a non-practicing Catholic.) She wanted someone to go with her because she didn't want to go by herself, so I volunteered. This should be interesting. I might even have a few questions for the rabbi after the service is over. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Have fun! I have had to do that numerous times for my religion classes, too.

I've been to a reformed Jewish service (female Rabbi), a Russion Orthodox service, and a Pentecostal/speaking in tongues/crazy shit service. That last one was a three and a half hour service... UGH.

This Sunday, I am going to a local Pure Land Buddhist service. Should be interesting.

I'm going with a friend tomorrow morning to a conservative Jewish service. She is taking a world religions class, and one of their assignments is to go to a church that isn't their own religion. She chose Judaism (she is a non-practicing Catholic.) She wanted someone to go with her because she didn't want to go by herself, so I volunteered. This should be interesting. I might even have a few questions for the rabbi after the service is over. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Do you just show up for this? or do you have to tell them you are coming? Just wondering.

Taph

We just showed up. However, there was nobody there as the Jews are celebrating Passover, so we decided to back in a couple of weeks when there would be more people there.

The men are required to wear yamacas (s?)

Do they give you one at the door? If not, how do you get one? How do those beenie things stay on anyway?

Taph

How do those beenie things stay on anyway?

With yarmolke clips.

Really.

Do they give you one at the door? If not, how do you get one? How do those beenie things stay on anyway?

Taph

They have them at the door for you to put on. They also have these doily things for the women to wear, but I think they only wear them if they're married.

Is there a specific standing area for Goys or something? Also, if you're a Goy do you have to wear something on your head?

Is there a specific standing area for Goys or something? Also, if you're a Goy do you have to wear something on your head?
This crossed my mind, too. :scratch:

As I understand it, all guys wear yarmolkes; all goys sit wherever they want. :shrug:

What are goys?

"Goy" is a Yiddish term (and slang) for "gentile."

Have fun! I have had to do that numerous times for my religion classes, too.

I've been to a reformed Jewish service (female Rabbi), a Russion Orthodox service, and a Pentecostal/speaking in tongues/crazy shit service. That last one was a three and a half hour service... UGH.

This Sunday, I am going to a local Pure Land Buddhist service. Should be interesting.

Pure Land Buddhist service would really be interesting if next week you went to another sect of Buddhism and compared the two for a nice little post. Please?

What are goys?
Bottom line, JP, both goy and gentile are terms used to describe non-Jews.

What are goys?

But "gentile" is a respectable designation, whereas "goy" (plural: "goyim") carries with it a kind of dismissiveness.

What are goys?

Oy, are you ever gonna stick out there! :HaHa:

You and the shikse watch it with the utzing - you don't want the minyan to think you're shmendricks. :nono:

What are goys?
But "gentile" is a respectable designation, whereas "goy" (plural: "goyim") carries with it a kind of dismissiveness.
So it's not just one of those Us vs. them things covered with blinky, colored lights?

Let us not go there, m'kay? <_<

I know I've had about enough of this stuff anyway. :shrug:

What are goys?
So it's not just one of those Us vs. them things covered with blinky, colored lights?

Let us not go there, m'kay? <_<

I know I've had about enough of this stuff anyway. :shrug:

Whu? :twitch:

Goys, Gentiles, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Baptists, Catholics, Pontiacs, Chevrolets, Cedars, Oaks, Elms, Dobermans and Boxers.

All just names to tell them apart, I guess. :shrug:

Goys, Gentiles, Jews, Christians, Muslims, Baptists, Catholics, Pontiacs, Chevrolets, Cedars, Oaks, Elms, Dobermans and Boxers.

All just names to tell them apart, I guess. :shrug:

I see what you mean. :Doh:

It would be lovely if all humans could come to the understanding that it's far less useful to be able to tell a Cossack from a Kurd than it is to know the difference between a Mazda and a Marzipan.

I mean, like, useful in the sense that you really should know whether to drive or to eat the latter two, and you should not have to be told to neither drive nor eat the first two.