Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Dad Turns To Jeezuz In Old Age

Guest Cactus Ed

Guest Cactus Ed

All the while I was growing up it was my mother who dragged us wretches to church, meanwhile the highly educated lawyer father was out on the links on Sundays, scoffing at the notions of church and religion. Now that fucker is in his 80s and is a right-wing Roman Catholic zealot ( who's your Daddy?), coming down hard on his 50 year-old son (me!) for his politics ( Liberal :eek: ) and his religion ( probably best described as Militant Agnostic :Hmm: ). Has the guy just lost his mind? Do many non-believers come to Jeezus in old age because they are afraid of Death? Is this what awaits me in my 80s? WHat-the-fuck-would-Jeezus-Say?

All the while I was growing up it was my mother who dragged us wretches to church, meanwhile the highly educated lawyer father was out on the links on Sundays, scoffing at the notions of church and religion. Now that fucker is in his 80s and is a right-wing Roman Catholic zealot ( who's your Daddy?), coming down hard on his 50 year-old son (me!) for his politics ( Liberal :eek: ) and his religion ( probably best described as Militant Agnostic :Hmm: ). Has the guy just lost his mind? Do many non-believers come to Jeezus in old age because they are afraid of Death? Is this what awaits me in my 80s? WHat-the-fuck-would-Jeezus-Say?

I too have seen people who have become religious in their old age, Frank Sinatra anyone/ I think that with all their bluff, they must on some level have believed it.

Taph

Wow. I guess it is like you said, he become religious because of fear of death. But it's weird though. Was he ever Christian before in his life, or was he an atheist his whole life? I wonder, because if you have never been in it and gotten out, then you don't have the same insight and maybe not the same ability to protect yourself... just thinking here...

I lost a dear friend to cancer at 36, several years ago. I never knew what was in his heart, but I believe he was an atheist to the core. We never talked about it, but as he was on his hospital death bed, a couple people, a very relgious friend, and a chaplin approached him to talk about Jesus. He kindly passed. He didn't want to hear any of it, and he went down at peace. I just don't think I could ever believe ever again no matter what happened to me, knowing all that I know now. I guess a lot of people at the end may not believe, yet they will go with Pascal's Wager just in case.

That is just plain old shitty..... Need to tell daddy to stop being a biatch and a hypocrite....