Goodbye Jesus

Hypothesis As To Why Christians Can't See The Faults In The Bible

Manta

I put this theroy to you:

"The reason why christians cannot see the contradictions and descripancies contained within the bible is because the the coherence and words chosen by the writers causes readers to miss finer details and leaves many open to interpretation."

I mean seriously, hte bible isn't what I'd call light reading, it's an effort to even understand the point its trying to make, and even then someone with dispute it.

I put this theroy to you:

"The reason why christians cannot see the contradictions and descripancies contained within the bible is because the the coherence and words chosen by the writers causes readers to miss finer details and leaves many open to interpretation."

I mean seriously, hte bible isn't what I'd call light reading, it's an effort to even understand the point its trying to make, and even then someone with dispute it.

Yea, I think that in their hearts, they know that the bible is full of absurdities and violence, but instead choose the comforting feeling that the Christian faith offers. When people realize that they'll eventually die, they want to badly to believe that death is not the end. That's the premeire attraction of the Christian religion, the delphic, obtuse concept that you can meet up with old friends and loved ones and live eternally happily ever after.

Yeah, it all comes down to interpretation. Perspective. The believer will believe anything as long as it is in accordance with their beliefs. For example, I read that there was a Mormon, and when asked why Joseph Smith's prophecy about 1000-year old quaker-looking men living on the moon turned out not to be true, the dedicated believer simply replied, "Maybe they are undergound." :Hmm:

It doesn't matter what you show them about their sacred texts, if they believe it, they will find some kind of excuse to believe in any fault. There's always an explanation. It's just a matter of whether you believe it or not.

Yup. Basically, fundies demand special rights for themselves: The right so say "Unless it's proven wrong, it's therefore true" in sharp contrast to the exact opposite they use on any rival thought. So unless they abso-fucking-lutely can't find any way to "make something compatible" with their dogma... you know what I mean. And as everyone who ever really read the wholly babble with an open mind knows, every verse in there has its contradicting counterpart somewhere, so the book of lies always offers an excuse to keep your myths.

Personally I think they start with the view that the bible is perfect and without err. Then they adopt the belief that god's ways are not our ways. They hone this down into their own minds with the idea that god is perfectly just and even what we can't fully accept must make sense on some godly plane that we have not yet acheived. This becomes their paradigm and when they read scripture through this paradigm reason and critical thinking are completely absent.

At least this was true for me as a believer.

I think that's true. Believers will tell you that you have to read the bible with the "right" attitude. The "right" attitude is the preconceived belief that the bible is without error and that the Biblegod is benevolent. Then they're taught to believe that if they find anything that disagrees with that attitude, it's only because they don't understand what's being said.

So rather than admit their apparent stupidity, they just paste a smile on their face and say Amen!

I think that's true. Believers will tell you that you have to read the bible with the "right" attitude. The "right" attitude is the preconceived belief that the bible is without error and that the Biblegod is benevolent. Then they're taught to believe that if they find anything that disagrees with that attitude, it's only because they don't understand what's being said.

So rather than admit their apparent stupidity, they just paste a smile on their face and say Amen!

So true my Wiccan friend...

*tries to resist*

*fails*

Blessed be the God and the Goddess ;)

I think the biggest trick is getting people to use the word "faith" and accept its meaning, and the notion that it's a good thing, without ever really thinking about what they are accepting and whether or not it's really a good thing.

Think about it.

Most Christians I'd wager, and most ex-Christians as well -- in a former life anyhow -- just accepted that "having faith" was something good, and that "lacking faith" was something bad, and that "having faith" meant believing -- believing whatever it was that a particular sect you happened to be in was asking you to believe.

There are lots of weasel words surrounding faith -- "the evidence of things not seen," and what have you, along with conflation with the notion of trust.

Faith is believing something to a degree of certainty unwarranted by the available evidence.

Why is that ever a good thing to do? Getting people to accept the notion that mere faith -- regardless of where that faith is placed -- is somehow a virtue, is a great triumph for con men everywhere. Have you heard it said about someone, "He's a man of great faith." What is that really saying? He's a man who believes something very strongly despite a total lack of evidence. Is that supposed to be a compliment? The man is an idiot, is that what I'm supposed to take away?

(By contrast, trust is believing something to a degree of certainty unwarranted by the available evidence because someone who has proven to be exceptionally reliable in the past is the messenger.)

Well, Paul built-in an effective counter measure against reason within his theology. So a Christian must reject - by necessity reality and swallow absurdity forthwith to be a Christian.

The rest, as you described is nothing but a blow-patch.

Well, Paul built-in an effective counter measure against reason within his theology. So a Christian must reject - by necessity reality and swallow absurdity forthwith to be a Christian.

refer them to this unhistorical paul and paul origins

Actually the solution to this whole puzzle is given by jesus himself:

Matthew 5

27 `Ye heard that it was said to the ancients: Thou shalt not commit adultery;

28 but I -- I say to you, that every one who is looking on a woman to desire her, did already commit adultery with her in his heart.

29 `But, if thy right eye doth cause thee to stumble, pluck it out and cast from thee, for it is good to thee that one of thy members may perish, and not thy whole body be cast to gehenna.

30 `And, if thy right hand doth cause thee to stumble, cut it off, and cast from thee, for it is good to thee that one of thy members may perish, and not thy whole body be cast to gehenna.

A quick summary of this is that thinking of adultry (sin) is the same as commiting adultry (sin) and if any body part causes you to sin then get rid of it since it's better to not have that part than keep it and not get into heaven.

Of course the latter totally screws up the whole do what you want and just ask for forgiveness thing that xians prefer (if jesus had meant that why didn't he say to not cut out parts of your body and simply ask for forgiveness in his name over and over and over and over again? It does kind of explain why god doesn't heal amputees though).

So to further expand on what jesus said we get thinking is as bad as doing and remove that body part that causes you to sin. So the brain is causing the sins (as it's responsible for all bodily actions) and jesus says to get rid of it or go to hell.

Simply put jesus says "no one that has a brain may enter into heaven."

Now you know why xians cannot see the faults in the bible. Problem solved. ;)

mwc

refer them to this unhistorical paul and paul origins

Well of course its unhistorical. There is not much of the "Pauline Gospels" that we can actually attribute to him, if such a person existed. And if such a person existed, he knew of Jesus only thru a later "relevation" what? a forty to a hunderd or so years later after the alleged life of Jesus. However, the rheotric against reason for baseless faith (lets just call it supersition - which early xians accused pagans of - or just plain irrationality) is certianly leveled and accepted as such. That's kind of a working definition what religion is, ie dogma. Thats' why dogma's exist.

They simply won't objectively study the issue of whether the Bible is true. The Christian does not read the bible to critically evaluate whether it is true or not. To do that would be a "Sinful Thought". (I think it is one of the worst things about Christianity how it tries to control your very thoughts). No, a Christian reads the Bible to grow in his faith. So I think it is the case with many of the hardcore Christians not seeing the faults in the bible is that they have never honestly and objectively considered them.

I have a new theory why they can't see through the contradictions and errors in the Bible... they're all related to Deacon Dave. :)

I have a new theory why they can't see through the contradictions and errors in the Bible... they're all related to Deacon Dave. :)

I'll second that, they must the same "stupid" bug.

I have my own hypothesis. I believe they don't want to see the flaws because then they will have to admit that they themselves are flawed and made the stupid mistake of joining a cult. So they'd rather stick their heads in the sand and pretend it's not a cult.

Ame, I agree. I have thought of that too. As humans we are easily gullible (just see how easily we're fooled by urban legends), but we're also extremely prideful and hate to be wrong. So admitting that we fell for the biggest scam ever, will hurt, so we rather pretend the emperor have clothes...

So by the very nature of being a Christian, they committ fully one thing they are not supposed to do... have pride. Fun for everybody! Their very own Catch-22!

Like I always said: I'm very humble, and I'm darn proud of it too.

I think the idea that they have to "believe" in something has been hardwired by culture, and by environment. Think about it. Even in popular media and entertainment...folks who don't believe in "something" are depicted as miserable, unhappy, evil, suicidal, homicidal, hopeless, and incapable.

To be a "decent person", you have to believe in something! Without such a supposed life "anchor" you are at risk for your life and morality completely coming apart! To be a decent and caring person all on your own because it makes you content, is just crazy talk! You only think you are happy! Everything is about to go to shit just wait!......

(wait for it)

(keep waiting...not yet)

*bump* "Ow! I banged my toe!"

(Seeeee!!!)

Guest Powerup

I see the Bible like the pendant in the hand of a hypnotist.

Watch the God, he is good, he is bad.

Your feeling sleepy, very sleepy.

Why is the Bible next to every bed in every hotel room?

Becuae it is the world best sleeping tablet.