Goodbye Jesus

Letters In The Mail From Christians

Guest Zoe Grace

Guest Zoe Grace

I've gotten probably three or four letters in the mail from christians I used to go to church with. THey know where I live and they have my phone number, but I really think they are too scared to have their beliefs challenged to make such direct contact. So they write me a letter about how they miss me in church and how god loves me and they throw in a bible verse, thinking they've done their big duty as christians and that they have just avoided confrontation.

Boy are they wrong! :lmao:

I remember specifically two of these letters and my responses:

1. The first was from a lady who used to be my babysitter, she expressed how much she missed seeing me in church blah blah blah.

I wrote her a letter back on my nice stationary, explaining politely that it meant a lot to me that she had thought of me, but that I don't attend church, however if she would like to I would be more than happy to get together with her for lunch sometime.

2. A family wrote me...very very sweet people, but very fundamentalist as well, their letter was filled with bible verses, and god loves you, and we miss you and are praying for you.

I wrote them back on my nice stationary, explaining politely that it meant a lot to me that they thought of me, but that I am no longer a christian (I had gotten more bold by this point) and have different beliefs. That I would appreciate it if that was respected. Also that I would be more than happy to get together with them sometime for lunch or something.

Neither of these people has contacted me again. It's been months. No call, no lunch invitation (not like i was holding my breath), no further letters or any acknowledgement whatsoever that they received my letters. Oh well. Guess I know how much they truly missed ME. huh? I extended a hand of friendship to them despite our differences and they have shown no further interest. Oh well.

Yeah. I still get religious cards from relatives. I don't know if it's because they think I need to be witnessed to (I haven't mentioned my deconversion directly, but they may suspect), or if it's because they think I believe the same thing as them, so it shouldn't matter.

Regardless, I think when you send a card to someone, you should get something that has more to do with who they actually are as a person. IMHO, it's rude and insensitive to preach through cards. But the ones who send me the really religious cards are older people who are never going to change their beliefs unless Jesus himself told them to. I read whatever they write in the letters and toss the cards.

:lmao:

They just made up for masterbating as teenagers.

Jesus is proud of them for trying, and now your eternal salvation is in the hands of the Lord.

"Perhaps they planted a seed?"

Anyway, I've started telling my Christian friends "You know that verse about "But a vessle of wrath, fitted for destruction? Well, that's me. I'm the clay calling the potter a homicidal maniac."

Regardless, I think when you send a card to someone, you should get something that has more to do with who they actually are as a person.

I completely agree, religion stifles individualism so much that you begin to relate to others strictly on the basis of the shared religion, which is awful imho. there is so much more in life to be enjoyed. it's nice being righteous and having righteous friends, but thats just a boring way to live. :shrug:

Regardless, I think when you send a card to someone, you should get something that has more to do with who they actually are as a person. IMHO, it's rude and insensitive to preach through cards. But the ones who send me the really religious cards are older people who are never going to change their beliefs unless Jesus himself told them to. I read whatever they write in the letters and toss the cards.

I totally agree!!! That is one of my major pet pieves... cards that the sender uses to further their own ideas/religion/whatever instead of using the opportunity to think, "now what would she like, what would she find funny?"

I put thought into my cards... especially when I can't get a gift. If it's the thought that counts, at least put some thought into your thought!

That said, I still buy quasi-religious cards for family and friends who I know are Christian. They aren't overtly Christian, but they may reference God or Jesus at Christmas. They know I'm not a Christian... so they don't reciprocate just because they think I'm not.