Goodbye Jesus

"acts Of God"

ped

okay so ive been waiting for weeks for a very expensive package. the retailer used UPS. well apparently a UPS freight train has derailed, causing an indefinite delay. thats okay or understandable..I suppose. the thing is its a very fragile package, and im afraid it may be broke. So i looked up the ups legal disclaimer;

The guarantee does not apply to UPS shipments that are delayed due to causes beyond UPS's control, including but not limited to, the following: the unavailability or refusal of a person to accept delivery of the shipment; acts of God; acts of public authorities acting with actual or apparent authority; acts or omissions of customs or similar authorities;

can you believe that in a legal disclaimer its okay to use such terminology! i mean they could say 'acts of nature' or something a little more specific. a fucking act of god could be ANYTHING!

another plus is the whole "public authorities acting under APPARENT AUTHORITY......give me a fucking break.

I think many insurance companies use the term "act of God" also. I guess they'll keep using it until enough people deconvert and complain about it.

"Act of God" denial of claims will not always hold up in court. Liability can be tossed around several loopholes. I had my car damaged by a huge piece of roofing styrofoam that was tossed off the roof in high winds. The construction company's insurance company tried to claim "Act of God" but I argued that they should have had something so light secured for just such instances. They didn't argue anymore and paid for the damage to my car.

If it turns out to be operator error there are other places you can go to remove the "Act of God" such as the rail company who shipped it instead of UPS. Look into the legal liabilities of second party shipping, such as the rail companies disclaimers and then compare it with UPS's second party shipping policy.

so could you challenge them to prove that god exists?

I mean if there is an act of god he has to exist right so they have to be able to prove he exists :)

"Acts of God" is an accepted legal term (http://dictionary.law.com/) that refers to the unpreventable. Actually, I always thought it was kind of funny that lawyers attribute all the bad stuff to god.

"Acts of God" is an accepted legal term (http://dictionary.law.com/) that refers to the unpreventable. Actually, I always thought it was kind of funny that lawyers attribute all the bad stuff to god.

True, it's an accepted term, has nothing to do really with the question of whether there is a god or not. Attributing all the bad stuff to god is sorta funny but it makes sense to me. As my old atheistic grandpappy used to say, "If you take the credit for the sunshine, you have to take the blame for the rain, too." True Christians™ don't agree, but that lot can't take any credit at all for logic.

Have you seen the movie "The man who sued God"?

They took that clause and made a story around it. Billy Connelly played a fisherman whose boat was struck by lightning, he lost his livelyhood but the insurance company refused to pay due to "act of God". Billy then sued the catholic church, claiming that if God willfully caused the damage then as his representatives on earth they would be liable for the damage.

Either the insurance company accepts that God didn't do it, in which case they take responsibility, or stick to their guns in which case they have to go head to head with the church.

Funny idea for a movie, bit slow so not really recommended.

I had heard of local insurance companies in New Zealand rewording their policies to be more precise. Either specifically stating natural disaster, or by supplying a definition of act of god in their terms and conditions.