Goodbye Jesus

Old Xian Habits Die Hard....

Angel

One habit I am trying to break is this....

I am sick of hearing myself saying, "THANK GOD" when I seriously do not mean it. Anyone else have that problem?

I mean, someone was telling me that their ill loved one was recoverying from their problem and wouldn't you know it, the first words out of my mouth....THANK GOD. WHY is it that I still say that?!?!? BAD BAD habit.....especially when I do not mean a word of it? Why thank a god that would allow the illness in the first place? Why thank a god that I do not believe in? DUH Angel! Anyone have any ideas how to break this bad habit?

My wife says "Thanks god!," which I think is kind of a cute aberition of the English language (she is Russian). I say thank god, but don't think much about it. I think saying this was kind of a mild use of "the lord's name in vain" when I was growing up. As such, using it now may be some sort of rebellion. I don't know.

Never got into the "Thank God" thing in the first place, then again I was really careful about "the lord's name" (i.e. while I would swear a blue streak, Jesus Christ and God never came up). Now, I still don't get into the Thank God thing, though goddamnit, and Jesus H. Christ on a Crutch! have made it into my vocabulary.

I still say it.

Though I have been trying different variations. Like, "Thank You Goddess!" and "Thank You Flying Spaghetti Monster!"

Think of it as a cultural phrase and you'll feel better about yourself. :)

"Thank You Flying Spaghetti Monster!"

LOL now that one I will have to keep in mind!

I am sick of hearing myself saying, "THANK GOD" when I seriously do not mean it. Anyone else have that problem?

I mean, someone was telling me that their ill loved one was recoverying from their problem and wouldn't you know it, the first words out of my mouth....THANK GOD. WHY is it that I still say that?!?!? BAD BAD habit.....especially when I do not mean a word of it? Why thank a god that would allow the illness in the first place? Why thank a god that I do not believe in? DUH Angel! Anyone have any ideas how to break this bad habit?

How about god bless you! When the kids sneeze. Angela,,,,try saying "thank god" out loud and fuck it toyourself. I mean jesus christ,,,,you can't get ALL dieties out of your language! gary

It took years to go from Thank God to Thank Goodness. Everytime I said Thank God I would immediately follow with Thank Goodness until I was able to drop God alltogether, the word that is.

It took years to go from Thank God to Thank Goodness. Everytime I said Thank God I would immediately follow with Thank Goodness until I was able to drop God alltogether, the word that is.

Me and my kids find it funny to say "Oh, My Gaawd" for every little silly thing. For instance going in to my son's room, I shout "Oh my gaaawd! Are you watching TV again?" So we're doing our best of using God's name in vain, as much as we can.

I'm considering to start using "Thank Cute Bunny" thou'.

As far as sneezing, I tend to like the German word/phrase (that I know I am about to mispell, sorry Thurisaz) Gutheisenteit. Just like the sound of it better, at times it sounds almost like a sympathetic sneeze.

"Thank God", used as a expression, was considered almost like swearing when I was growing up. I never did get into the habit of saying it; usually I'd say "Thank Goodness".

I tend to like the German word/phrase (that I know I am about to mispell, sorry Thurisaz) Gutheisenteit.

What does that word really mean?

I hear myself saying "Oh my god" but that one does not bother me... Every now and then I catch myself saying "God bless you" when one sneezes, but I have started using the German phrase myself...I guess I just like the sound of it? lol

...snipage...

I tend to like the German word/phrase (that I know I am about to mispell, sorry Thurisaz) Gutheisenteit.

I am not sure. Any German speakers want to chime in?

I still say such things, and I don't care. Who's holding me accountable? Certainly not I.

I'm guessing this was supposed to be "gesundheit"? - it means "good health".

I'm considering to start using "Thank Cute Bunny" thou'.

The Cute Bunny™ thanks you, and I thank you. :thanks:

Instead of 'thank god', I used to say 'Thank you, Satan!' :wicked: Got a lot of horrified looks in restaurants...

Guest tigg13

You could try punching yourself in the arm every time you "thank god".

Or, even better, every time you say "thank god", immediately turn your head to the left and say "You're welcome."

"Gesundheit" - I think it translates to "Good health."

That, or our in-house abbreviation "Zoont," is the standard response to a sneeze chez moi.

As far as sneezing, I tend to like the German word/phrase (that I know I am about to mispell, sorry Thurisaz) Gutheisenteit. Just like the sound of it better, at times it sounds almost like a sympathetic sneeze.

Yeah me to. I've always used that since that was what my dad used when growing up. Sometimes I also use "Salute" and "Bustarovia" (the Russian version of Salute). It seems weird to me to say God Bless You. I've never really done it and no on I grew up with did either. I did love the Seinfeld episode on the subject though.

"Thank God", used as a expression, was considered almost like swearing when I was growing up. I never did get into the habit of saying it; usually I'd say "Thank Goodness".

I think "god bless you" :lmao:

Thurisaz?

I still say such things, and I don't care. Who's holding me accountable? Certainly not I.

I'm guessing this was supposed to be "gesundheit"? - it means "good health".

whoops. Missed that. Then it means the same as salute and bustarovia.

Guest Emerson

I say that and more! I still say "oh my god, oh my gosh, jesus christ, god!!" It doesn't have any meaning besides "oh geez I'm fucked!" or something similar, it doesn't always have to mean something. If you want to work on breaking them then work on it, but its not as bad as some people say it is. And I still say "God bless you" or "bless you" when someone sneezes. Its not always literal and I'm okay with that. :woohoo: