Goodbye Jesus

Recovering Catholic Born Again

Guest Agent Ytnok

Guest Agent Ytnok

My savior was drift. I was raised and confirmed Catholic. I had many wonderful experiences, met many wonderful people and generally felt that the Church provided me with all of the answers I would ever need. But as I got older I drifted away from the Church. The effect was absolutely liberating. I suddenly was able to see the world in a way I had never seen it before. The world looked better, more coherent, more wondrous, more incredible than anything the Church had ever described. In a sense, I was born again. To this day I harbor Catholics and Christians no resentment and I believe there is much good in those faiths. But I also believe that those faiths limit our abilities to do good and determine what is right so in a sense I feel sorry for them. Of course whenever I tell people I'm a non-believer I get a patronizing smirk, like "oh yeah, you'll be back". Occasionally I get a look of horror, like "how could you choose to go away from God". But when I see the kinds of things their "god" tells them to do I realize I've made the correct choice. There is a church near me with smarmy little messages each week. This week it says: "If you're betting that god isn't real, you'd better be right". Actually there is no bet because I am right.

I was so pleased to run across this forum on Dilbert's blog. Finally a community of people with similar experiences and beliefs to my own. Hello all.

Welcome!

Dilbert who? As in the comic?

Welcome!

Dilbert who? As in the comic?

Yeah, Scott Adams has a "Dilbert Blog" where he goads believers into all kinds of craziness.

Here's the link: http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/

It's a riot.

I tried to find where he mentions ex-christian.net, but I couldn't find it. Did Scott Adams post about Dave's place (Ex-C)? Does Scott Adams, genious extraordinare' know about us?

Taph

Nope I found it, it's one of the replies

"Don't forget that torturing people forever and ever and ever simply for choosing the wrong religion, or for making a mistake is extremely unethical. Not to mention, torturing people forever and ever and ever just for being gay is tyrannical. I cannot fathom how people actually worship gods like this in the 21st century and look at themselves in the mirror every day.

This is a HUGE reason I am an ex-Christian. If you happen to be a fundy and believe there are no ex-Christians, I suggest going to www.ex-christian.net. Just FYI, if you debate there, you will actually have your belief system challenged. It is not for those who can't stand to have anyone challenge them. And people who come in posting things like "U R ALL GOING 2 HELL1111!1!" are generally looked down on."

Maybe we'll get some fundy's to debate with.

Taph

Guest Agent Ytnok

Taph

We can only hope, prayer doesn't work.

Taph

We can only hope, prayer doesn't work.

I forgot to say welcome to the forums!

Taph

From one ex-catholic to another - welcome, Agent!