Goodbye Jesus

Really Scary Catholics

Alexandrian

You know, Protestant Fundies get most of the attention, but when I was in the Catholic Student Group back in college, I learned how messed up the Catholic hard-liners can be. I didn't know before that there will still people who advocated Monarch, defended the legitimacy of Slavery, demanded censorship, and called for the persecution of heretics.

Here is a posting one of those people from my Catholic Student Group recently made:

"Even if my own father were a heretic, I would gather the wood to burn him at the stake." -Pope Paul IV

“Secular authorities… shall be admonished and induced and if necessary compelled by ecclesiastical censure…for the defense of the faith to exterminate all heretics pointed out by the Church.” -Fourth Lateran Council

"That it is against the will of the Spirit to burn heretics [at the stake] is condemned as false." -Pope Leo X

This person was not using these quotes to show how bad the Church was. He was using them as a means to hammer "soft" Catholics with the real truth of the Church...

Ooh - can't you just FEEL the love of jesus?

It's true - fundy Protties usually get most of the press, but fundies of any belief system are intolerable, and Catholic fundies are no different.

Catholics were the big innovators of religious hatred and bigotry. Big Momma Church™ had the market cornered on religious persecution for a good 1500 years before the Reformation spawned new cults to persecute and condemn. Most people forget this, but indeed it is true - the Catholic Church™ is the first domino in the line.

And I was a Catholic fundy for the longest time - I remember reading stuff like that to fire up my own "faith." It's sad - and sick - that human beings can actually believe in garbage like that.

"Even if my own father were a heretic, I would gather the wood to burn him at the stake." -Pope Paul IV

“Secular authorities… shall be admonished and induced and if necessary compelled by ecclesiastical censure…for the defense of the faith to exterminate all heretics pointed out by the Church.” -Fourth Lateran Council

"That it is against the will of the Spirit to burn heretics [at the stake] is condemned as false." -Pope Leo X

Yikes! I think my lack of respect for the Catholic Church just increased. I knew they taught a lot of screwy things, but I never knew that some people within the Church thought this way.

Of course, I probably shouldn't be surprised. Allegedly, St. Rita once said that she'd rather that her children be killed than commit sin/leave the church. Also, St. Thomas of Aquinas also said that masturbation was a worse sin than rape (according to Wikipedia's article on the practice).

And sometimes, I still have *guilt* over not wanting to revert. So sad... :(

Yikes! I think my lack of respect for the Catholic Church just increased. I knew they taught a lot of screwy things, but I never knew that some people within the Church thought this way.

Of course, I probably shouldn't be surprised. Allegedly, St. Rita once said that she'd rather that her children be killed than commit sin/leave the church. Also, St. Thomas of Aquinas also said that masturbation was a worse sin than rape (according to Wikipedia's article on the practice).

And sometimes, I still have *guilt* over not wanting to revert. So sad... :(

Well you see, according to Mr. Aquinas, the gravity of any sinful act depends on how severe the degree of disorder of that act is. Sex is properly ordered between a man and woman who are married together with both partners consenting and no artifical means of blocking procreation(Birth Control) are present. The further it moves away from it, the more sinful it becomes. Ordinary Fornication with no birth control would be the least sinful(but still sinful enough to send you to Hell) because it has all of the ingredients of a proper sex act except for the marriage. Rape is more sinful as the consent is then lacking.

Birth Control(IIRC) is a greater sin, as the act itself is fundamentally changed with procreation artifically impeded.

Acts such as homosexuality, masturbation, bestiality, or sex with inanimate objects are the most sinful, as they are most disordered since even the basic combination of a man and a woman would be lacking.

I think if we were taking Mr.Aquinas' line of thought to it's logical conclusion, masturbation would also be worse then pedophilia, so long as the abuser and victim were of different genders- that the way the basic elements of the act would still be in place.

Isn't it amazing all the shit religion will cause people to believe?

Well you see, according to Mr. Aquinas, the gravity of any sinful act depends on how severe the degree of disorder of that act is. Sex is properly ordered between a man and woman who are married together with both partners consenting and no artifical means of blocking procreation(Birth Control) are present. The further it moves away from it, the more sinful it becomes. Ordinary Fornication with no birth control would be the least sinful(but still sinful enough to send you to Hell) because it has all of the ingredients of a proper sex act except for the marriage. Rape is more sinful as the consent is then lacking.

Birth Control(IIRC) is a greater sin, as the act itself is fundamentally changed with procreation artifically impeded.

Acts such as homosexuality, masturbation, bestiality, or sex with inanimate objects are the most sinful, as they are most disordered since even the basic combination of a man and a woman would be lacking.

I think if we were taking Mr.Aquinas' line of thought to it's logical conclusion, masturbation would also be worse then pedophilia, so long as the abuser and victim were of different genders- that the way the basic elements of the act would still be in place.

Isn't it amazing all the shit religion will cause people to believe?

Yeah, I think I've heard similar reasoning from Catholic officials. So sad- not to mention disturbing. :ugh:

As for "shit religion will cause people to believe", I don't treat them all equally. I may be religious again one day (though probably not Catholic!). Or I may just continue to be spiritual, as I am now. Whatever the outcome, I choose to reserve judgment on most systems at this time.

The second coming of the dark ages... get the stock ready.

The second coming of the dark ages... get the stock ready.

...and the red-hot poker and iron maiden, too. :ugh: