Goodbye Jesus

When Is Christianity Ok?

Dianka

A friend of mine from high school just came out as a Baptist. As tragic as this is to me, I remember seeing her a few years back while she was a hard-core heroine addict. When I met her, she was smoking pot every once in a while, and over the years she became so whacked out from doing every drug imagineable I didn't even recogize her. Honestly, she got so bad I thought she was dead, and last year she resurfaced while in NA. We became close again, but within a few months she dropped off the radar. My first thought was that she went back to drugs, but she told me that she was an active member of her church. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that she pulled herself out of addiction, but is she just trading one high for another? I know some people on here are recovering addicts, so I figure this would be a good starting point. Before she became a fundy X-tian, I really thought she had her head on straight, but this revelation makes me worry. We all know how addictive religion can be, at some times it really feels like you are high and that is what makes me worry about her.

I know that many people become faithful during recovery, and it is better than shooting junk, but what happens when spirituality doesn't satisfy her anymore. Is she going to go back to doing drugs? I would hate to see that happen. Has anyone been in that position before? How do you get out of fundamentalism without going back to drugs. Also, should I just quit worrying? As much crap as I talk about manipulation in Christianity, I have to admit that there are many people in the church who will help her when she feels weak. Does anyone have any insight?

Oh, wow..

That's tough...I have no idea...

Godstuff does get you "high" but if she's coming from heroin, the god high will proably be small potatoes.

It might pan out ok in the long run.

Mmm, see I would be ok with it if spirituality was just one part of the whole picture. She has stopped talking to her secular friends completely, and straight up lied to us (me and other friends) about her life, what she's doing lately, etc. She went out of the country without telling any of her godless friends about it. Anyone else, fine, I would understand, but this is totally not like her. That's the problem. Maybe she is so ashamed of her actions that she wants to erase every part of her life before she went clean. I would even accept that, but she is being really dishonst about it.

Mmm, see I would be ok with it if spirituality was just one part of the whole picture. She has stopped talking to her secular friends completely, and straight up lied to us (me and other friends) about her life, what she's doing lately, etc. She went out of the country without telling any of her godless friends about it. Anyone else, fine, I would understand, but this is totally not like her. That's the problem. Maybe she is so ashamed of her actions that she wants to erase every part of her life before she went clean. I would even accept that, but she is being really dishonst about it.

I don't think there's anything you can really do about it.

It sounds like she's firmly on a path that's going to pan out however it will. It seems odd (to me) that she's not being more "evangelical" about whatever she's going through...

It's just a weird situation all around.

Maybe she's just doing whatever it takes to get clean?

Desperation makes folks do and think weird stuff.

I'd rather see someone happy as a christian then misrable as an athiest, or a Taoist, or any other -ist that one might use to discribe me. as far as the drugs, its hard to say what they will do.

A friend of mine from high school just came out as a Baptist. As tragic as this is to me, I remember seeing her a few years back while she was a hard-core heroine addict. When I met her, she was smoking pot every once in a while, and over the years she became so whacked out from doing every drug imagineable I didn't even recogize her. Honestly, she got so bad I thought she was dead, and last year she resurfaced while in NA. We became close again, but within a few months she dropped off the radar. My first thought was that she went back to drugs, but she told me that she was an active member of her church. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that she pulled herself out of addiction, but is she just trading one high for another? I know some people on here are recovering addicts, so I figure this would be a good starting point. Before she became a fundy X-tian, I really thought she had her head on straight, but this revelation makes me worry. We all know how addictive religion can be, at some times it really feels like you are high and that is what makes me worry about her.

I know that many people become faithful during recovery, and it is better than shooting junk, but what happens when spirituality doesn't satisfy her anymore. Is she going to go back to doing drugs? I would hate to see that happen. Has anyone been in that position before? How do you get out of fundamentalism without going back to drugs. Also, should I just quit worrying? As much crap as I talk about manipulation in Christianity, I have to admit that there are many people in the church who will help her when she feels weak. Does anyone have any insight?

Religion for her is fine. If her friends and the mind control get her off of drugs,,,,I say "praise the lord!'

Agreed. If it works for her recovery then more power to her.

Just as long as she stays off the drugs.

As far as relapsing with a crisis of faith, I am not sure of the risks of that nor am I sure that any studies have been doen on that topic.

Good to see that she cleaned herself up.

As far as deceitful behavior, could that be a personality trait rather than just a function of religion or addiction? Just poisiting, I have no idea.

I'd rather see someone happy as a christian then misrable as an athiest

Sounds like that's a good philosophy to live by.

As far as her lying and still being an addict of sorts, I think this is just another case of the leopard not changing it's spots.

My experiences with recovery from drugs/alcohol taught me that the religious folks always had a tougher time of it. I went to AA for awhile, and the fundy-types seemed to fall off the wagon pretty regularly.

"Praise god! I had a slip this weekend, but I'm confessing my victory over the demon rum!" :fun:

The recovery matters a lot more than your faith - I hope for your friend's sake she isn't confusing the two. God doesn't do any of the heavy lifting in recovery. :shrug:

First of all, I no longer think that Chrisitianity is "true" in any way.

That said, issues like Hell, Heaven, Salvation, Grace, etc are all irrelevant.

That said, I think Christianity, even fundy for a time can be of some use. I know of people that may have become drug addicts and criminals but their paths were forever changed because of 'christianity'.

However, I now feel that Fundy Christianity is wretched. It absolutely ruins normal people's views of the rest of all people and the whole world. Most honest Christians who believe will admit, that if it were all false (which it is), it would be a horrible thing.

Long term I think Christianity is only OK as a cultural habit, practiced in it's liberal forms. In other words, the way many liberal believers think. When you ask them if they think Chinese Buddhists are all going to Hell the cringe and say that is ridiculous.

Overall, I think humanity may shed itself of CHristianity in the next 500 years. At least that is what I hope.

It is an interesting question though. I do know of many families, even in Fundy churches, that if you really pushed them would admit they don't believe much of the tougher parts. They also don't know what is in the Bible and they certainly do not ponder the horror and immorality of the doctrine of Hell. These people, if they are able to live entire lives without tormenting others too much, may be better off with Christianity. Rather than having it ripped from their minds and damaging them seriously. I know that I have been battling depression since admitting it all is a lie. Good question.

One thought: No one has ever instantly died from a religious overdose because the fundamentalism they were putting up their arm was a lot stronger than they expected.

Because it's black market stuff, even experienced junkies make lethal mistakes. There is no regulatory agency making sure that quality and potency is uniform. It's impossible to look at a tiny dot of powder and tell visually just how potent a concentration it is. It's not uncommon for a user to die so fast that they don't have time to get the rig out of their arm.

The risk of a very literal instant death from a mistake is completely real with those powders, but not with religion, no matter what other dangers may be present in the cult.