Refreshed Religious Harrassment

I wandered away from this forum a number of years ago as I had pretty well settled into my "new" life, had boundaries set up with my family that were being respected, and religion really was no longer an issue in my life. I moved on with life and was pretty content.

Life being what it is, I ended up leaving my beloved California and after a bit of time in Texas (hated it) moved to north Georgia. Overall, I think I'm pretty happy here, started to make friends, love the area and mountains - life with covid is causing issues, but outside of that, I'm fairly happy here.

BUT.....

This has put me much closer to my (very religious, "Bible-believing" christian - but not a church version, she doesn't do well in most churches as she interprets things more to her liking - go figure) mother. I love my mom, don't get me wrong. We get along great outside of the religious stuff, and even that as long as she doesn't try to push it on me, I don't mind discussing.

Herein lies the issue though - I allowed religious discussions (with the caveat that I don't personally believe it), and now she has gotten down right harassing again about it, and can't hardly state a sentence without bringing it up.

I know what I need to do (tell her to back the f off and not to bring it up - not like that, but about that firmly, no "grey" area) as that really seems the only way to manage it. I've been trying just ignoring it - not responding to her religious comments - changing the topic. If anything, that seems to be making her pushier - so guess it's time to lay down the law again.

Just sucks to have to be dealing with this crap again after years (nearly a decade I think!) of "peace." But the nut jobs just can't leave it alone.....

• Sad 1

Yep. It defines life for them, as it did for me for decades. I typically just get the cold shoulder from my believer relatives, unless they need some help from me. Then it's back to silence. They live fairly close to me also.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, HRDWarrior said:

I wandered away from this forum a number of years ago as I had pretty well settled into my "new" life, had boundaries set up with my family that were being respected, and religion really was no longer an issue in my life. I moved on with life and was pretty content.

Life being what it is, I ended up leaving my beloved California and after a bit of time in Texas (hated it) moved to north Georgia. Overall, I think I'm pretty happy here, started to make friends, love the area and mountains - life with covid is causing issues, but outside of that, I'm fairly happy here.

BUT.....

This has put me much closer to my (very religious, "Bible-believing" christian - but not a church version, she doesn't do well in most churches as she interprets things more to her liking - go figure) mother. I love my mom, don't get me wrong. We get along great outside of the religious stuff, and even that as long as she doesn't try to push it on me, I don't mind discussing.

Herein lies the issue though - I allowed religious discussions (with the caveat that I don't personally believe it), and now she has gotten down right harassing again about it, and can't hardly state a sentence without bringing it up.

I know what I need to do (tell her to back the f off and not to bring it up - not like that, but about that firmly, no "grey" area) as that really seems the only way to manage it. I've been trying just ignoring it - not responding to her religious comments - changing the topic. If anything, that seems to be making her pushier - so guess it's time to lay down the law again.

Just sucks to have to be dealing with this crap again after years (nearly a decade I think!) of "peace." But the nut jobs just can't leave it alone.....

Some boundaries are more difficult to draw, implement and enforce than others.

• Like 1