Goodbye Jesus

RayBan

Rayban

In a Christian house hold, you’re brought up not to drink tea or coffee or alcohol and not to smoke or act like a stereotypical guy if you’re a girl. Anyone else just feel like they’re behind the majority that does these things? Making you feel like you’ll never fit in as cliche as that is.

Hi Rayban

Welcome to Ex-C

I guess it depends which household you are brought up in. Mine we were allowed tea, coffee etc, but no alcohol or smoking. Others though allow all of these because they don't see them as impediments to salvation, but merely as good you choose to consume. (Which is at least a coherent position. Why consuming sugar and fatty foods is ok, but smoking is sinful I don't know. Alcohol I get because it's altering the mind... also God told Samson not to drink strong drink so there is some biblical justification.)

But yeah Christianity does do a lot of hurt to people that don't fit in.

We didn't have any of these restrictions in our home.  My dad smoked (he eventually quit...though I think he snuck one in now and again) and he drank (mostly beer).  I never really drank or smoked (still don't).

mwc

Welcome!  Sounds like you are not happy with your "Christian" childhood.  But as you get out into the world you may find, like I did, that Christians aren't all the same.  That was one of the things that prompted a study of the big picture of religion, leading to deciding the moral questions for myself.  Sounds like you are starting down that road yourself.  Best wishes!