Goodbye Jesus

Missing God

Freed

Do any of you ever miss God? Even a little? When you're in a really bad place do you ever find yourself wanting to crawl back to Him? Do you ever get the urge to pray to Him every now and then? Do you ever feel like you should have never left Christianity? Do you feel more lonely and depress since you left Him behind? 

All of the above for me. But then I start remembering how much I and others have suffered because of that God. Some poor man was tortured for 14 years for that God because he feared an eternity in Hell! Then I remember what the Bible says. The abuse and contradictions and all. I just gotta keep those in my mind to keep me from ever going back.

I wish I didn't miss Him even a little bit. God is my biggest weakness. He is the one being that I hate the most. Yet also the one being I miss the most. I can't take it anymore. Damned with Him and damned without Him. 

Please tell me how you feel and what you think about Him??

20 minutes ago, Freed said:

Do any of you ever miss God?

God is missing, I'll tell you that much. As in absent. 

20 minutes ago, Freed said:

When you're in a really bad place do you ever find yourself wanting to crawl back to Him? Do you ever get the urge to pray to Him every now and then? Do you ever feel like you should have never left Christianity? Do you feel more lonely and depress since you left Him behind? 

Not after three decades of not believing in god. There were times during the first decade where I tossed around the idea sometimes. And I got into re-reading the bible just in case there was something I missed. But that's when I started noticing all of the contradictions. Then got very interested in how many contradictions there are. And took off reading my way through textual criticism and minimalist archaeology. So what happened is that I learned more and more what's wrong with the bible. And I kept learning more about what's wrong with theistic belief in general.

So those kind of feelings ended up taking me further and further away, rather than closer and closer to god. 

25 minutes ago, Freed said:

I wish I didn't miss Him even a little bit. God is my biggest weakness. He is the one being that I hate the most. Yet also the one being I miss the most. I can't take it anymore. Damned with Him and damned without Him. 

The entire issue has to do with an imaginary friend, basically. Love it or hate it, it's an imaginary being limited to the inner subjective realm of the mind. You miss the feelings associated with believing in an imaginary friend, basically. And it's not that different than, "Toy Land," or anything similar. Sure would be nice to go back that wonderful delusion. Rainbows and unicorns and all of that. This may sound harsh, but it doesn't have to be. 

The good news is that people who do get enough distance away from these theistic beliefs often pioneer entirely new ways of looking at life and circumstance. Dealing with everything as it arises just the same as always, less the god belief aspect. It's not that bad, in fact, I prefer life without the wonderful delusion.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Breaking up is hard to do.

After I read Harry Potter, I find myself wishing magic were true, but then realize it isn't. And if it were, it could be used for bad as well as good.

One of the reasons I left the faith was seeing how very evil the god of the Bible is, ordering genocide after genocide (ironic given the Holocaust) and ordering them to keep the young virgin girls for themselves to rape as "wives". He is a Middle-Eastern tribal male turned into a god, nothing more. 

I do find myself talking to the ceiling wondering why evil men haven't been destroyed by this plague instead of so many good people. Then I realize that no one is in charge of it, just nature taking its course. A mere visit by Europeans to old South America killed millions through disease. They had no defense against it, having never faced it before. That is why this new virus is such a bother, because no one has built-in defenses against it. 

In my psychedelic journeys, I feel connected with all life, and see the good bad and ugly, and the cycles of life and death as part of this realm. Those are the moments where I feel most in bliss. Then it comes time to take what I felt and learned and put it into practice here in physical reality, choosing and choosing to try to be kind. That is how we change the world, not by pleading with a god who is supposed to be good, who is supposed to be love, and demands that we beg and then doesn't answer. It makes so much more sense that such a being isn't real and in charge of the universe. Bad programming through well-meaning people caused us to think of that story as real. But they were tricked, and so were we for a time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/19/2020 at 4:59 PM, Freed said:

On 11/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, Fuego said:

In my psychedelic journeys, I feel connected with all life, and see the good bad and ugly, and the cycles of life and death as part of this realm. Those are the moments where I feel most in bliss. Then it comes time to take what I felt and learned and put it into practice here in physical reality, 

Freed, perhaps some of these journeys would be helpful for you??

God is simply a piece of shit. A cock cunt even. I gotta be strong and move on with my life. I can't keep letting theophobia prevent me from living this one and only life I may ever have!!! 

Belief is not a choice.  I didn't choose to be atheist and I can't change my mind and choose to become religious.  I would have to be convinced of whichever religion it was, having a basis in reality and being true.  I wish such things were true, they offer many fuzzy warm feelings, but sadly its all imaginary.  As such I can't be angry at god, as that is anger pointed at a dream, rage at the air.  I can certainly be angry at the church and the people within the organisations, but never at the supernatural. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wertbag said:

Belief is not a choice.  I didn't choose to be atheist and I can't change my mind and choose to become religious.  I would have to be convinced of whichever religion it was, having a basis in reality and being true.  I wish such things were true, they offer many fuzzy warm feelings, but sadly its all imaginary.  As such I can't be angry at god, as that is anger pointed at a dream, rage at the air.  I can certainly be angry at the church and the people within the organisations, but never at the supernatural. 

Bingo. Now I need to adopt that way of thinking! Thank you. 

• Like 1