Goodbye Jesus

A dialogue I wrote about God and atrocities

chrisassaf

Pvt. Lye expresses my opinion near the end of this dialogue;

PVT. NIELSEN

Hooray! This war is almost over! The Germans have surrendered, and Europe is liberated.

PVT. LYE

But we have one enemy left to defeat. That is Imperialist Japan.

PVT. NIELSEN

Yes, I am aware of that. I am just celebrating our current progress.

PVT. LYE

And we will need to continue that progress.

PVT. NIELSEN

Not a problem, since we have an powerful ally on our side; the Americans.

PVT. LYE

Do you believe in the devil, Nielsen?

PVT. NIELSEN

Pfft! What kind of question is that, Lye?

PVT. LYE

A legitimate one. Do you believe in the devil or not?

PVT. NIELSEN

Of course not, you fool!

PVT. LYE

You will.

PVT. NIELSEN

Lye, are you some sort of religious fanatic? ‘Do I believe in the devil’, he asks.

PVT. LYE

I’m asking you, because there’s something I have to show you.

PVT. NIELSEN

Oh? And what is that?

SHUFFLE! SHUFFLE!

PVT. LYE

Look at these photos!

PVT. NIELSEN

Oh, my! Lye, what am I looking at?

PVT. LYE

The handiwork of the Nazis.

PVT. NIELSEN
You ask me of the devil and show me these? A better question would be to ask me whether or not I believe in God.

PVT. LYE

Huh?

PVT. NIELSEN

What man would commit such acts upon other men? Some of these are even women and small children! Small children! Of all the evil-

PVT. LYE

Sorry If I have upset you so-

PVT. NIELSEN

No! I can’t get these images out of my mind. What god would allow such a devil to operate in this fashion? After looking at these photos, I can say that I do believe in pure evil, without a shadow of a doubt.

PVT. LYE

I hope that we can catch ALL the criminals that did this and hang ‘em high.

PVT. NIELSEN

I cannot believe that a just god would allow this to happen.

PVT. LYE

Regardless of what God lets happen or doesn’t let happen, I know this; that we must push on. With good comes evil, and evil good. We must focus on the good and fight off the evil. Don’t blame anyone or anything else for it. Whenever evil rises up, good men must work to suppress it.

PVT. NIELSEN

I suppose you are right, Lye. But I tell you this, I would welcome an opportunity to be relieved of sentry duty here in Europe and go to Asia, where we can fight the devil’s ally, Hirohito.

To misquote Robin Williams in Good Morning  Vietnam, You are in more dire need of a blowjob than any poster in history.

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator

god could stop evil but chooses not to.  How comforting.

8 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

god could stop evil but chooses not to.  How comforting.

But if you read the dialogue, private lye is saying that we should not blame anyone or anything else for evil, for with good comes evil, and evil; good.

1 hour ago, chrisassaf said:

But if you read the dialogue, private lye is saying that we should not blame anyone or anything else for evil, for with good comes evil, and evil; good.

Private Lye is confused.

Dialogue needs a lot of work - it's stilted and unnatural.  People just don't talk like that.

11 hours ago, Astreja said:

Dialogue needs a lot of work - 

Just the dialog? 😁

• Haha 1

Well that dialogue is actually a testimony for atheism, materialism and utilitarian ethics. Which is quite interesting. 

It basically says do not preoccupy yourself with God or those sorts of questions, just try to relieve suffering of others as much as you can.

That things about with evil comes good and with good evil, is confusing. Does evil cause good and viceversa, or evil and good are intermingled in everything?

Also, don t blame anyone, but kill the evil doers. When, they you DO blame someone for evil. Like the nazis for killing all those people.

Personally, I am starting to think there is such a thing beyong good and evil, but at the moment I view through the lens of physics. We are interactions of different forces. So there is nothing evil or good, as these are human creations and sensations. I doubt that the carbon atoms in a serial killer are different from a doctor working in disease ridden, war torn country. This does NOT mean I do not see or feel a difference, or we should just let pedophiles rape little children, but I find a somehat more stable peace thinking about these things. So, taking the advice of that Gospel saying, judge a tree by its fruit, these ine of thinking for me, usually brings an underlying base of peace and contemnemt, while making me try to alleviate suffering in the wisest way I can. Dunno if it would work for others though.

• Super Moderator

The self esteem craze where everybody gets a trophy and nobody can fail has brought us to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1