Goodbye Jesus

Biblical Height Goliath

pantheory

This is kind of a funny study. Based upon a related research study, biblical scholars realized that the Philistine giant Goliath was the only character in the entire bible, both old and New Testament, whose exact height was given. Since the bible authors of the story probably didn’t have access to the living or corpse of Goliath, how did they assess his height if the story were true? The idea is that his height was estimated when standing next to, or based upon the height of the city wall of which its height was accordingly known from archaeological writings.

From one of the biblical story versions Goliath was 11 ft. 4 inches tall, certainly a giant – whether imagined or not. But another biblical version or interpretation puts his height at 7ft 9 1/2 inches tall which still would be a giant in my book.

Because this shorter height is within the realm of possibility, this study suggests that Goliath’s height may not have been beyond the realm of reason, not necessarily a giant. Of course I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the biblical story is entirely BS.  But here is the link explaining their research and study.

https://www.livescience.com/was-biblical-goliath-a-giant.html?utm_source=notification

Wasn't Goliath supposed to have been descended from a race of giants? (The Nephilim?) So according to the bible they were not actually full humans. Also apparently had six fingers and six toes.

Giants in the bible are fairly common. The Canaanites were apparently giants. You'd think if Jericho etc was full of giants that were destroyed we would have uncovered huge amounts of archeological evidence for this. But no. 

20 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Wasn't Goliath supposed to have been descended from a race of giants? (The Nephilim?) So according to the bible they were not actually full humans. Also apparently had six fingers and six toes.

Giants in the bible are fairly common. The Canaanites were apparently giants. You'd think if Jericho etc was full of giants that were destroyed we would have uncovered huge amounts of archeological evidence for this. But no. 

"Wasn't Goliath supposed to have been descended from a race of giants? (The Nephilim?)"

Never heard of it. I'll look it up and see if I can find it. Yup, I found it. Here is a link to it. Goliath and the giants of the Bible:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113151/

2 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Six fingers and six toes you say? I think his descendants live in certain areas of England. And they are very close families!😋

2 hours ago, pantheory said:

"Wasn't Goliath supposed to have been descended from a race of giants? (The Nephilim?)"

Never heard of it. I'll look it up and see if I can find it. Yup, I found it. Here is a link to it. Goliath and giants of the Bible:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4113151/

Hmm, the problem with any studies of the subject is that they assume the events in the story actually happened. Coming from the bible I don't rate it too highly. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Hmm, the problem with any studies of the subject is that they assume the events in the story actually happened. Coming from the bible I don't rate it too highly. 

Yeah, it was a study by biblical scholars whereby they gave a disclaimer stating that if the story were true this is how they might have assessed the height of Goliath, stating there was no consideration or opinion given as to the veracity of the story itself.

• Thanks 1