Goodbye Jesus

Homer 3D

AntiChrist

(I can't remember if I have posted this question already)

Does the three dimensional cube exist in nature naturally?

• Super Moderator

You mean like a crystal?

1 minute ago, florduh said:

You mean like a crystal?

I don't think so. Crystals don't form into perfect cubes, do they?

• Super Moderator
2 minutes ago, AntiChrist said:

I don't think so. Crystals don't form into perfect cubes, do they?

Salt?

• Super Moderator

Pyrite.

vbjmqe6dazcifmgbwnsq.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, florduh said:

Pyrite.

vbjmqe6dazcifmgbwnsq.jpg

Can you provide some outside sources on this.

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, AntiChrist said:

Can you provide some outside sources on this.

Why? You think I Photoshopped it? It's a thing, just like those little cubes of salt.

sugar-crystals-03-452x450.jpg

I guess it depends what is meant by "perfect cubes". Truly mathematically perfect shapes tend not to occur in nature. But there definitely is a tendancy for certain crystalline solids to naturally form into what we would normally call cubes.

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, florduh said:

Salt?

Na.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

I guess it depends what is meant by "perfect cubes". Truly mathematically perfect shapes tend not to occur in nature. But there definitely is a tendancy for certain crystalline solids to naturally form into what we would normally call cubes.

Thank blank! Now I can stop thinking that the universe has a grudge against square boxes.

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Na.

Thanks. I was waiting for you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Na.

... K.

35 minutes ago, disillusioned said:

So does or can nature make anything any shape? Is there a particular shape that can't form naturally. Also, why do people keep mentioning that beehives are far stronger as a constructional concept. Should humans live in beehive buildings?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/11/wombat-poop-cube-why-is-it-square-shaped/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AntiChrist said:

So does or can nature make anything any shape?

Again, that depends on what you mean.

On the scale of solar systems and planets, things tend to turn out to be roughly spherical/circular/eliptical.

On the scale of salt crystals, things tend to turn out to be roughly cubic/rectangular prismal/etcetera.

On the scale of electrons, things tend to turn out to be quantum-wavefunctional.

Nature does seem to produce a variety of shapes. I'm not sure that anything can naturally be any shape (for example, I'm not sure that a tiger can be an icosidodecahedron), but things generally do seem to come in all different shapes and sizes.

Is there a particular shape that can't form naturally.

Mathematically ideal shapes, such as perfect circles/spheres, perfect cubes, and so on, do not seem to exist in nature.

Also, why do people keep mentioning that beehives are far stronger as a constructional concept.

I have no idea. I haven't heard this, and I don't keep bees, so I'm not competent to answer. 

Should humans live in beehive buildings?

I don't know about whether or not we should, but I definitely don't want to. 

1 hour ago, disillusioned said:

Also, why do people keep mentioning that beehives are far stronger as a constructional concept.

It's not the beehive itself per se, it's the hexagonal shape and the way hexagons distribute load. I'm not an engineer but we have acquaintances in a field that produces lightweight, yet strong, materials as siding and the load bearing interior looks like a honeycomb.

• Thanks 2

What can I further say, nature is kickass!

On 12/3/2020 at 12:49 PM, Krowb said:

It's not the beehive itself per se, it's the hexagonal shape and the way hexagons distribute load. I'm not an engineer but we have acquaintances in a field that produces lightweight, yet strong, materials as siding and the load bearing interior looks like a honeycomb.

If it wasn't for religion suppressing knowledge, we'd all be living in beehives in the sky.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, AntiChrist said:

So does or can nature make anything any shape? Is there a particular shape that can't form naturally. Also, why do people keep mentioning that beehives are far stronger as a constructional concept. Should humans live in beehive buildings?

What do you mean by nature?  Because I've seen tree shapes, human shapes, fish shapes, cat shapes, dog shapes and, well, the list is just too numerous to list.  Lots of variety.  Nature made every single one.

Or are you just asking about geometric shapes?  Essentially, do geometric shapes occur naturally ignoring these non-geometric shapes or organic shapes?

Here's a look at Giant's Causeway for some geometric shapes in stone:

giants-causeway-northern-ireland--24270.jpg

This sort of volcanic rock can fracture on straight lines (others can too for that matter) like this so you can find it in blocks/square columns and other configurations that make it look carved or chiseled.

mwc

• Super Moderator
10 minutes ago, mwc said:

That place is really McCool.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 10:50 AM, AntiChrist said:

(I can't remember if I have posted this question already)

Does the three dimensional cube exist in nature naturally?

The most common cubic crystal example that I can think of, that is big enough to easily see, is iron pyrite, called fools gold. It has a cubic structure and some of its crystals are nearly perfect cubes.

Of course the 3 dimensional system  is just a human invention anyway based upon the Cartesian mathematical system. It is a mathematical system that can describe length, width, and height numerically. Of course a cubic structure is where all three dimensions are the same and angles are all right angels.

Einstein conceptually added a fourth dimension to explain motion and changes based upon time in his theory of General Relativity.

3 hours ago, mwc said:

What do you mean by nature?  Because I've seen tree shapes, human shapes, fish shapes, cat shapes, dog shapes and, well, the list is just too numerous to list.  Lots of variety.  Nature made every single one.

Or are you just asking about geometric shapes?  Essentially, do geometric shapes occur naturally ignoring these non-geometric shapes or organic shapes?

giants-causeway-northern-ireland--24270.jpg

This sort of volcanic rock can fracture on straight lines (others can too for that matter) like this so you can find it in blocks/square columns and other configurations that make it look carved or chiseled.

mwc

I think I'm trying to discover a geometric shape nature can not form naturally. I thought it could be a cube, but that's not true.