Goodbye Jesus

Giving And Serving, Secular Style

SunNSand4me

I've been brainstorming about volunteer and donation opportunities at secular humanitarian organizations and figured it'd be a good topic for the board. Please add your ideas. Hopefully this will help those who've been Christian ministry-minded for some time to see there's plenty to actually do and fund aside from spreading the gospel and keeping churches running.

Public schools

Homeless shelters

Domestic abuse shelters

Disease associations (Heart, Alzheimer's, Breast Cancer, AIDS, etc)

Amnesty International

Red Cross

Goodwill Industries, career development orgs

Jaycees

Optimist International

Unicef

Exchange student programs

Arts and culture councils

Animal shelters

Special Olympics

Environmental/wildlife groups

Parks and recreation departments

Libraries ... literacy groups

Hospitals

Big Brothers/Big Sisters

United Way (you can be choosy about which agencies you fund)

You can participate in any of the above locally, or you can travel to serve as an alternative to a Christian mission trip.

My opinion about why so many people stick with Christianity is that they personally experience a lot of warm fuzzies from helping others - whether real or perceived - so much so that they turn a blind eye to the negatives. It is a fact ... we reap a lot of rewards when we serve. (http://nationalserviceresources.org/epicenter/practices/index.php?ep_action=view&ep_id=1114)

Sooo, if any of you are missing church or some part of your former religious life, try volunteering on Sunday mornings or whenever.

Hours and days in classroom and then on range showing, teaching, then turning former victims into self-empowered persons able to protect themselves and loved ones by whatever means they find necessary.

Many more hours on the local and State forefronts arguing the Right to Keep and Bare Arms/2A issues.

More than a few brain cells burned, back and leg muscles permanantly injured and hurt doing the Rural Ditch Medic gig.

Give hours and hours to local Library to keep IT going, the networking, computers and peripherals necessary to allow my little City its gateway to the rest of world.

Other than that, I sit on my complacent ass and bitch about the sectarians owning and running *everything*.. :lmao::lmao:

kL

Give hours and hours to local Library to keep IT going, the networking, computers and peripherals necessary to allow my little City its gateway to the rest of world.

Other than that, I sit on my complacent ass and bitch about the sectarians owning and running *everything*.. :lmao::lmao:

kL

Right on! That's a subject near and dear to my atheist heart - supporting our libraries is vitally important. A public library is one of the greatest resources in all of human history!

Also, I've been active in contributing to the Toys For Tots program, and the excellent Child's Play charity. They really help make Xmas a great time for kids.