Goodbye Jesus

Why does my mom keep asking me to come back to Jesus?

benmetalhead

As far as I can remember, I've stopped believing in God for more than 10 years. I never quite found the appeal in having to submit to a god that does not exist, but is rather a figment of people's imagination. Most of the people in my life don't even take a moment to think rationally and try to see the world from a scientific point of view. They are against people who want to love who they want and dress the way they want. Have you come across such people, and how have you dealt with them in your own personal lives? I'm quite intrigued as to how you deal with such people, because I'm at my wit's end.

I have similar problems, except they don't outright ask me - it's more passive aggressive. "We miss you in church". "Well if you came to church you'd hear about xyz" And so on - this is after 5 years, many discussions, and a firm understanding that I don't buy into their crap.

I haven't tried this, but if I get pushed far enough I will. When asked why don't you believe in Jesus have you ever thought of responding with "Well lets sit down and I'll tell you why your fairy tale is utter bullshit? I am certain that after 10 minutes they will not ask you ever again. There's stuff they don't wanna hear about least it corrupts their faith. However, it may also be bridge burning stuff so use with extreme caution. 

• Like 2

She must not understand that you're out, that you just don't believe it and that you are not going to believe it...

Do you still live at home and encounter this every day?  Have you ever explained the reasons you no longer believe?  If you need some pointers on your position, check out our TESTIMONIAL section to see how others have handled it..  Explain your position, and then just don't get sucked into bickering with them.  If you are still dependent upon them, you may have to just put up with it until you get out on your own.

By default, believers think that literally everyone on the planet knows that the Christian god is the only real and true god, but everyone is in rebellion against this knowledge because they prefer to sin. This is of course utterly absurd, but they don't bother to consult reality or ask people, they only go back to the cult's writings (scriptures) that tell them this concept in many ways, particularly the writings of Paul in the New Testament. He argues that even nature teaches people that Christianity is true, but failed to recognize that he had been indoctrinated since childhood in Judaism and then Christianity. His own view of reality was warped by a small Middle-Eastern religion and assumed that everyone knew it to be actual reality, but were rebelling against it. 

That is why they keep asking you. I spent 30 years believing the same things, and when I finally saw through the lies everything changed as far as how I viewed it. It had always been there, but I couldn't see it because my mind was filled with invisible demons and angels and devil and god and all the invisible warfare blah blah blah. None of it is real, but by going to church and 24/7 consuming of only that cult's teachings, it feels real to them. But that is why they can't see what is real, and keep pestering you about the cult. They think it is critical for survival, and once a human believes that, it is very difficult to change the mindset or see through the mis-programming. 

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

Because your mom lacks faith.  If she truly believed that jesus is all he's cracked up to be, then she'd know that he's able to save you without her constant pestering; but deep down in her heart, your mom knows he ain't. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

I haven't tried this, but if I get pushed far enough I will. When asked why don't you believe in Jesus have you ever thought of responding with "Well lets sit down and I'll tell you why your fairy tale is utter bullshit?

Yes, this works....but at the cost of listening to reams and reams of fallacious logic, threats, and fake sympathy.   

I have deliberately burnt a lot of bridges lately with this method.  I use it for my own benefit, as I find passive aggressive "ghosting" of others to be personal distasteful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard to say not knowing the person or the exact type of dogmas. There could be

1. Your mother thinks you are going to Hell because you, after knowing Jesus, reject him.

2. She considers it her own duty to try and reconvert you as not not dong anything would be a sin. 

3. Wants to partake in greater rewards for bringing home a lost sheep.

Etc.

Thinking rationally requires certain preconditions. One of them is a sort of sense of safety and another proper education/group. Extreme pleasure or pain ( or expecting it) can literally disempower the brain structures needed for such thinking. Remember a time you were really afraid, or really satisfied. Would it be easy to think clearly then? Who does equations while running from bears or while having sex? I do not know WHERE rational thinking takes you ( there are numerous scientific hypothesis in competition at one given time) but to start it is hard when in an intense physical/emotional state that certain brands/ practices of Christianity can take you.

Plus, rationalility can be a tricky thing. What seems rational to us , may seem irrational to another. And viceversa Even to us, later