Goodbye Jesus

American Humanist leader Roy Speckhardt stepping down to make room for diverse leaders

webmdave

• Admin

(RNS) — Speckhardt told Religion News Service his decision was prompted by a lot of 'humanistic soul searching, especially during the pandemic.'

The post American Humanist leader Roy Speckhardt stepping down to make room for diverse leaders appeared first on Religion News Service.

View the full article

I hope they find a dynamic, resourceful person to replace him.  I joined the organization a couple of years ago.  

I find that line of thinking highly disturbing and irrational. Like some kind of unexamined devotion to "diversity". I have my doubts if he was not actually pressured into that decision. You should elect the best person for the job, regardless of the accidents of birth, like skin colour or ethnicity, etc. If you think there is still some kind of unwarranted discrimination in your org then try solve that. Or if you think some community is having a hard time then uplift them. If black people, for ex, have lower results in education then research the problem and offer solutions you don t just give them better grades just so you have a more "diverse" population. I can also understand that people from a wide range of backgrounds bring different elements to a community but that does not automatically qualify you for a job.

I truly regret this kind of unexamined unreflective catchphrases and holy words of diversity equity inclusivity gaining so much ground. 

It is like the idea that there should be gender quotas in govt. I personally do NOT care if the government was 90 percent female in my country I care about what they do. The idea that , by default, you wil be better represebted by someone that looks like you is false.  That is only ONE element and not even the biggest one IMO, which is moral character and competence. In that order but both imp. Why that order? Bk the most dangerous "fascist" is a "competent" one.

Ending discrimination means giving people what they "deserve" , regardless if that is lower or higher that what they were given. So you don t get an automatic win but a fair shot.

8 hours ago, Myrkhoos said:

So you don t get an automatic win but a fair shot.

👍👍

"“It is my emphatic hope that my seat is filled with a Black or Brown humanist because our movement has gone too long without such diversity at the helm and this would open the door for the AHA to truly achieve its potential as a humanist and anti-racist institution,” he said in a written statement."

The organisation has gone so long without a black person at the helm, cos the president has been in the position for 15 years.  Its not like our politicians who have maximum terms, the head of a group such as this can stay in for life.  But of course his stepping down does not select his replacement, so he doesn't create diversity, only the chance that in the new election someone else may run who has more melanin than him.  More likely another white person steps into the role and stays there for the next couple of decades.

The other problem this creates is the potential lack of respect a black person stepping into the role would get.  The thought will always be there "did they get the position cos they were the best, or to fulfil some diversity quota?"  Did they earn it or were they given it?  The thoughts being generated are more racist than just having equality in the first place.  

12 hours ago, Wertbag said:

The other problem this creates is the potential lack of respect a black person stepping into the role would get.  The thought will always be there "did they get the position cos they were the best, or to fulfil some diversity quota?"  Did they earn it or were they given it?  The thoughts being generated are more racist than just having equality in the first place.  

This. Also, the person in question could think - do I REALLY deserve this position or am just here because of some PR stint/skin colour?